No video display when run as service

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lets be honest here, running a hypervisor on your own hardware is more about sandboxing than it is about efficiently utilizing hardware. ;) If you only had one server you could probably do everything you do without a hypervisor and therefore with lower RAM requirements.
I ended up dumping ESXi on my Dell Poweredge T430 because the guest OS ran like shit, for me at least, compared to bare metal. iSCSI performance was reduced considerably (10GB connection) and Plex was much less effective at delivering 4k Blu-ray streams than bare metal. I wish it wasn't though because for me having a "home server lab" was very desirable. So now my plan is to run Hyper-V so that I'm achieving full OS performance when I need it but I have, as you say, sandboxing and mutliple OS guests when I need them without sacrificing overall performance.

My biggest issue right now is what Fenderman is alluding to... which is the huge waste of energy my server is. I'm spending money for bling and convenience (ie always on) essentially. I'm looking into ways to automate power on/off of the server/NAS and spinning up a lower power box just for VMS purposes. I can always sync video to the NAS periodically for backup.

ratbuddy

n3wb
Reaction score
100 percent wrong...your savings if an is insignificant if any as todays machines run super low power near idle...welcome to doing things the right way where uptime an stability is the number 1 goal....run a killwatt meter on your powerhog and see for yourself....AMD is a terrible idea, VM is a terrible idea...you got em both...what are the specs on your vm machines? what is the power consumption?
It's an 8 core/16 thread Ryzen 7 1700, 64GB RAM, 6 IronWolf spinners, and a GTX 750 Ti (6 watts at idle, give or take) to keep power consumption at a minimum. The system runs through a UPS (uptime, right?) which reports ~75 watts when I'm not doing anything in particular, up to ~120 when there's a lot going on in several VMs at once. That number even includes my wireless router and cablemodem which are plugged into the UPS. It's a powerhog alright :p

Further, there is no Intel system that could offer the performance per cost - both purchase cost, and energy cost. Even the 8700k, which wasn't available when I did my build, costs $100 more and uses an extra 25 watts, for multithreaded performance which can't quite keep up with the 1700.

"AMD is a terrible idea" was true before Ryzen. It's not true today. "VM is a terrible idea" has never been true.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's an 8 core/16 thread Ryzen 7 1700, 64GB RAM, 6 IronWolf spinners, and a GTX 750 Ti (6 watts at idle, give or take) to keep power consumption at a minimum. The system runs through a UPS (uptime, right?) which reports ~75 watts when I'm not doing anything in particular, up to ~120 when there's a lot going on in several VMs at once. That number even includes my wireless router and cablemodem which are plugged into the UPS. It's a powerhog alright :p

Further, there is no Intel system that could offer the performance per cost - both purchase cost, and energy cost. Even the 8700k, which wasn't available when I did my build, costs $100 more and uses an extra 25 watts, for multithreaded performance which can't quite keep up with the 1700.

"AMD is a terrible idea" was true before Ryzen. It's not true today. "VM is a terrible idea" has never been true.
You load on blue iris must be very low...using an intel i7-6700 system you could easily run that load and all your vms at what would likely be 40-60w....saving you between 50-150 a year....pennywise pound foolish.
it was a terrible idea before and after ryzen....because of intel HA, a 6700/7700 system would be more powerful than your ryzen...available all day long for 400-500 bux including 3 year next business day warranty...what was that again about performance vs cost? Sometimes you gotta stop thinking like a gamer and use common sense. You have the same problem lots of folks who buy amd to use with Blue iris have...they cant admit they made a mistake..

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lets be honest here, running a hypervisor on your own hardware is more about sandboxing than it is about efficiently utilizing hardware. ;) If you only had one server you could probably do everything you do without a hypervisor and therefore with lower RAM requirements.
I don't think you can do freeNAS , pfsense and windows on single server without virtualising

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is very minor lag over VNC, but this isn't an application like gaming where response time is critical. A small bit of mouse lag, but that's it.
yup VNC is ok but I will try GPU passthrough once my dual xeon CPUs arrive

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think you can do freeNAS , pfsense and windows on single server without virtualising
Fair point. I was thinking more of people who run separate VMs for Plex, a domain controller, DNS server, email server, FTP server, web server.