No WAN access unless open

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hope somebody can help please.

I can't access bi through the app or browser from outside my LAN unless the actual program is open and on screen.
Closing it so it's running in the background or even minimising it stops access, the browser times out and the app says cannot reach server.

The access Wizard is fine all ok and green ticks.

Been happening a few weeks and I've tried latest update and previous ones without luck.
Emailed support a few weeks ago and again yesterday in case they didn't receive the first.
Thank you

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.....or even minimising it stops access, the browser times out and the app says cannot reach server.
So even just minimizing the BI console window kills remote access? That IS strange.
Can you access UI3 from LAN when BI console minimized (NOT closed) ?

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes all LAN access works fine, minimised, closed etc.
I'm confused, if I view ui3 via external IP and app through mobile network the streams stop 8-10 seconds after minimising then time out. Ifbi maximise it again within a few seconds the streams start again and catch up.

Just tried with firewall switched off and still the same.

It's got to be a Windows update, I'm out of ideas otherwise. Currently uninstalling all updates over the past few weeks.

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I believe it is running as a service, it always has and works over LAN closed

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would still check and make sure it is indeed running and that Windows hasn't screwed it up.

Close BI and go to Task Manager and ensure it is running.

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I've tried uninstalling updates which took forever without luck, I've now restored the PC to a date early April and now the issue is different but could of been like it without me being aware.

It now stays working on wan for a random amount of time, could be 10 seconds could be up to 40 minutes.

If i leave it on the PC screen watching ui3 via external IP on one screen and local IP on other screen the external one will randomly stop, when it does i also cannot login via app (mobile data) with cannot reach server error.

Opening bi on the PC results in ui3 reconnecting.
The local ui3 stream never stops.

This is just too unreliable, I need to be able to always view the cameras from outside the property.

I'm stumped. Is there a way to save settings so I can totally reinstall bi ?

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is weird.

Yeah, from the main BI settings page that shows your license key, etc. is an import and export your settings. There is also an import and export in each camera as well. I would do them both just in case.

I believe you will need to deregister/unactivate your code first as well, so make sure you can find the whole license key.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try that later
I believe you will need to deregister/unactivate your code first as well, so make sure you can find the whole license key.
Also, go to BI Settings => About => Email support and this will "copy" your license key and all other BI registration info onto clipboard; then open notepad or another text editor and "paste" that into it, save with a name in a place you can find later.

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok so i reinstalled and all seemed to be ok, i left ui3 streaming via external ip for nearly one hour with bi closed and it was fine, then i opened the app which logged in but caused the ui3 on pc browser to stop, throwing lots errors about losing the stream etc. 2 seconds later the app disconnected and now shows cant reach server.

The pc browser attempted to reconnect as it does but times out

ui3 via lan works perfectly still.

Is lan and wan 2 different servers? does anyone know of any logs anywhere that could help me with this

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Further digging i've found when it disconnects i try an online port scanner which reports port 81 closed yet the bi access wizard reports it open, once it starts working again the scanner reports open.

For some reason either the port is randomly closing (but not to the wizard) or bi is not responding to the scanner making it appear closed (im not sure thats how it works though)

Oh well im stumped whatever it is.

Thanks for help anyway

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe have a look at your router configuration nd make sure port 81 is actually being frowarded.

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ui3 running on browser and mobile app, canyouseeme site says port 81 open but after 6 seconds they both stop then canyouseeme says closed, would love some support from BI but that seems non existent despite paying for support and updates :banghead:
could you try using a higher number port and having your firewall port forward to BI on port 81? i.e. Connect to your WAN IP on port 40000 and router forwards to port 81 on your LAN to the BI machine.

port 81 is a comon port for botnet usage and perhaps something is throwing a lot of requests at your firewall causing it to close the port either because of lack of resources or intrusion prevention. Just a random thought.

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
could you try using a higher number port and having your firewall port forward to BI on port 81? i.e. Connect to your WAN IP on port 40000 and router forwards to port 81 on your LAN to the BI machine.

port 81 is a comon port for botnet usage and perhaps something is throwing a lot of requests at your firewall causing it to close the port either because of lack of resources or intrusion prevention. Just a random thought.
Good idea, ill try that, thanks

Meno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Success: I can see your service on **** on port (4000)

then after a few seconds the stream stops, so i test again

Error: I could not see your service on **** on port (4000)
Reason: Connection timed out

I give up for now, it's driving me crazy

Thanks anyway

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Success: I can see your service on **** on port (4000)

then after a few seconds the stream stops, so i test again

Error: I could not see your service on **** on port (4000)
Reason: Connection timed out

I give up for now, it's driving me crazy

Thanks anyway
does your router have the ability to log activity? Maybe something there might point out to why its closing its port. I say the router because your BI machine is still accepting connections on port 81 from your LAN so it sounds like the bad link is the router.

Frustrating issues these :(