Non-pc based system

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello all,

A good friend of mine would like to set up a domestic CCTV system, but unlike mine which is PC/BlueIris based, he wishes to use a standalone NVR, without any PC connection

Installing an set of IP camera's with POE, may I ask to those who know :

Do the camera's connect directly to the NVR for power (POE) or do they need to be connected to a POE switch between the camera's and recorder ?

I have no idea about how NVR's work, so I thought you lot would be the best to ask

Thank you in advance ...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Do the camera's connect directly to the NVR for power (POE) or do they need to be connected to a POE switch between the camera's and recorder ?
yes. ie, either way will work with most NVR's unless they explicitly limit the number and/or types of cams they will connect to, for marketing/licensing/$ reasons...

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Standard NVR's (like IPCT's) can be set up either way. With cameras wired directly to the NVR POE ports or adding the IP of cameras on the network.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Friends dont let friends use standalone NVR's.
I hear what you're saying @fenderman, but he seems to just want a simple standalone set it & leave it system

He's got a busy family life and I don't think he wants to approach it from a CCTV/ hobbyist angle - we're all different :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying @fenderman, but he seems to just want a simple standalone set it & leave it system

He's got a busy family life and I don't think he wants to approach it from a CCTV/ hobbyist angle - we're all different :)
Blue iris is just as set it and leave it as an nvr. You dont have to do anything to it if you dont want to. This is a common misconception.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
one word: Windows...

it's the weak link for BI, as far as I'm concerned. I dunno what sort of magic people do to keep it from taking the system down every once in a while.
(just had to restart my BI server yesterday, after it failed to come back following a windows update of some sort...)

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Blue iris is just as set it and leave it as an nvr. You dont have to do anything to it if you dont want to. This is a common misconception.
On the one hand @fenderman, I agree - but an NVR is truly 'standalone', Blue Iris isn't

A BI licence without a PC to run it on, with sufficient storage, a separate POE switch, possibly a patch panel ....... it all adds up to a lot of tech which if you aren't interested in is a lot more complicated than a standalone 'box' you connect the camera's to and that has storage built in

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
On the one hand @fenderman, I agree - but an NVR is truly 'standalone', Blue Iris isn't

A BI licence without a PC to run it on, with sufficient storage, a separate POE switch, possibly a patch panel ....... it all adds up to a lot of tech which if you aren't interested in is a lot more complicated than a standalone 'box' you connect the camera's to and that has storage built in
Installing the Blue Iris software is difficult? Stand-alone NVR as with Poe built-in are generally very loud due to the fan noise... Additionally you give up one of the great benefits of using network cameras and that is the ability to use Network switches so you don't have to run home run each camera back to the NVR. You wouldn't need a patch panel any more than you would with an NVR... I think you're confused about how NVR are sold, most don't come with hard drives. ... I encourage you to get an NVR for your friend then when he wants to toss it against the wall you can point them to a proper Blue Iris setup

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Installing the Blue Iris software is difficult? Stand-alone NVR as with Poe built-in are generally very loud due to the fan noise... Additionally you give up one of the great benefits of using network cameras and that is the ability to use Network switches so you don't have to run home run each camera back to the NVR. You wouldn't need a patch panel any more than you would with an NVR... I think you're confused about how NVR are sold, most don't come with hard drives. ... I encourage you to get an NVR for your friend then when he wants to toss it against the wall you can point them to a proper Blue Iris setup
You're preaching to the educated @fenderman :)

My home BI setup is a dedicated 6th gen i7 with 8Tb storage and a 16-port switch (8 port POE) in a dedicated custom server rack using a 42 inch smart tv via HDMI as its monitor, etc .....

He's plans to install his CCTV system in a utility room (with other noisy equipment) and he plans on running new Cat6 cabling whilst he remodels his home (ie floor removed, walls added & removed), etc..

I've tried recommending a BI system but he seems set on the NVR route - what can you do :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You're preaching to the educated @fenderman :)

My home BI setup is a dedicated 6th gen i7 with 8Tb storage and a 16-port switch (8 port POE) in a dedicated custom server rack using a 42 inch smart tv via HDMI as its monitor, etc .....

He's plans to install his CCTV system in a utility room (with other noisy equipment) and he plans on running new Cat6 cabling whilst he remodels his home (ie floor removed, walls added & removed), etc..

I've tried recommending a BI system but he seems set on the NVR route - what can you do :)
You can laugh and say i told you so when he complains about the NVR.