Noob help please - POE, and Alhua's NVR 4.0

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a 4 port NVR (4104) running v4.0 (latest version, it says). I've got two cameras - both HFW5431EZEs. I have two cable runs - one of about 20m, one of about 70m. Both done with CAT6 (different cable types though as one is buried). Both cameras work fine on the short run. Neither camera will initialise on the long run. I've done a connection test (got a lan tester) on the run and it's fine on all 8 wires. I'm thinking the POE isn't strong enough... Any suggestions? (I've ordered a cheap POE inserter to try out).

Also, within the NVR display, the camera view goes to black with a little lock signal after about 5 mins (still records fine). I can't find the setting for "permanently on display". Where's the best guide to this software ? I'm struggling to understand all the options, submenus, etc.

Thanks for reading.

John

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are these home made cable ?
How did you test the cables ?

Did you use pure copper cables. NOT CCA, copper clad aluminum.

Are the cables wire to the T568B standard, The colors and pin out must match.

check post #5 for a picture Best Cat6 cable for my system?

Reaction score
Hi - thanks for the reply - I appreciate the advice.

The cable is OFC CAT 6 regulation - it's 8x0.53mm diameter solid core, which I think is somewhere between 23 and 24AWG. The terminations are homemade. I think I used T568A but I'll check it, probably remake them for certainty.

I guess you're saying that it's probably not a POE range problem...

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the NVR meets the POE standard the length is 100 Meters. I would look at how the cable connectors are wired, and test them.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi, i'm reusing this thread since it is related to my question....

I'm about to install POE camera (Dahua camera + NVR) going to use the a CAT5E cable both for power and data.
I red the WIKI. I just wanted to know why is it important for the cable to be from copper (not CCA).
Does it only affect link quality (network speed/stability) or it has other implications?

thank you

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, i'm reusing this thread since it is related to my question....

I'm about to install POE camera (Dahua camera + NVR) going to use the a CAT5E cable both for power and data.
I red the WIKI. I just wanted to know why is it important for the cable to be from copper (not CCA).
Does it only affect link quality (network speed/stability) or it has other implications?

thank you

Reaction score
Despite being a noob on CCTV, I do know a bit about wiring. Suspect the reason for insisting on solid copper is twofold:

1. more voltage drop on CCA for a given distance (so may breach 100m distance spec for POE)
2. Non-compliant (with the Cat5e/6 specs) frequency response at high frequencies (so might not work, particularly over long distances, for the signals used for IP)

As far as I understand it, copper cables might even be part of the actual spec for Cat5e/cat6.

John