Noob here: LARGE time skips in recording.

Reaction score
I have the recording set to When Triggered, but it seems to start recording rather late into the alert, and then will skip up to 13 seconds (!!!) during an event.

Am I missing something really simple here?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
increase your pre trigger recording time to at least three seconds, you also need to match your cameras iframe interval to the FPS - when using direct to disk recording it only starts on a new iframe. Your motion settings are also likely improper. Post images.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Increasing Pre-Trigger to 3 seconds. Got it.

My motion settings do need tweaking. They're set with a zone and I've been incrementally increasing the object size to ignore squirrels and such. (But I doubt this is causing 13 second jumps in the video?)

(Found Key Frame setttings on my camera... is that the same as iframe?)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

My motion settings do need tweaking. They're set with a zone and I've been incrementally increasing the object size to ignore squirrels and such. (But I doubt this is causing 13 second jumps in the video?)

What is my camera's iframe interval? I can adjust the Streaming between HD (720P, 20fps, 2M), Equilibrium (720P, 15fps, 2M), and Smooth (VGA, 15fps, 1M)
What cameras?
post images of your setting in blue iris for motion detection

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

(Found Key Frame setttings on my camera... is that the same as iframe?)
Yes

Reaction score
In other words, could the re-encode be glitchy and causing the recording skips? Maybe direct-to-disk will fix them?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In other words, could the re-encode be glitchy and causing the recording skips? Maybe direct-to-disk will fix them?
direct to disk will reduce cpu...
match the keyframe to the fps..lower the object size.
Increase your break time to 30 seconds

Reaction score
direct to disk will reduce cpu...
match the keyframe to the fps..lower the object size.
Increase your break time to 30 seconds
Adjusting to these settings. (Re: Object size... Hoping I won't get too many squirrels then.)

Thank you! I will continue testing to see if there are any more skips but so far the issue seems resolved.

Reaction score
Sadly, I am still having large time skips, even with the settings you recommended.

I have no idea what's wrong. Is there a better way to diagnose this issue?

I feel like i should set my record drive back to my SSD, because my media drive often takes a while to spin up. That might be screwing up the recording as well?

I'd just rather not because it would be rough on the SSD. I am contemplating putting in a dedicated HDD for this.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Solved the time skips.... finally.

My system was turning off my media drive after 20 minutes. (I had no idea. I thought I disabled power management.) Very bad for spontaneous recording! I've got it so it never powers down now. So far, everything seems great.

Last edited: