NOOB. Need some assistance in configuring an IP camera set up.

sandman512

n3wb
Reaction score
First, thanks for the assistance. Looking for some help or if someone can point me in the right direction on configuring and setting up an IP camera system. This week, i will be installing one camera(starting with), running it into a DVR in my office then connect it to my wireless router. I can handle the install, the problem is configuring the whole system. Looking to view this on the internet, my Android device, my wife's Iphone. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank much.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@sandman512 Welcome to the forum..there are lots of posts that address your questions...you need to start reading and learning....your post is way to broad to properly answer...what camera? what NVR? who is your internet service provider?

sandman512

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I figured there were lost of posts, I'm just lost. Bought the equipment from a video surveillance company. It's a 1 TB HD dvr, an outdoor dome type camera and I have Cablevision as an ISP.. Also, have a Apple Airport Extreme router.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I figured there were lost of posts, I'm just lost. Bought the equipment from a video surveillance company. It's a 1 TB HD dvr, an outdoor dome type camera and I have Cablevision as an ISP.. Also, have a Apple Airport Extreme router.
What equipment? model numbers?

sandman512

n3wb
Reaction score
LOL, from what I have been reading, I can see that. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

sandman512

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, here you go:
1) CCD Camera Model TVI-IRD2M42VF-W2812E
2) DVR- H.264 DVR-I assume plain Chinese type brand.
3) ISP is Cablevision.

Once again, thanks..

EDIT: The DVR did come with a disc....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@sandman512 To clarify...the camera sold to you is not an ip camera...its a TVI camera that sends hd streams over older coax cable..If this is a new install I would send it back...TVI is a stopgap to be used with existing coax...no point in starting a new system using TVI..
If you want to keep it, port forwarding would depend on the DVR....you would need to provide the model..generally you need to forward a single port..you will need the manufactures app or use something like ipcamviewer for your phone..

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Top advice from @fenderman again!

No-one should be installing TVI in new installs. I know Hikvision and other manufacturers are pushing their TVI-range as better than IP but this is just because of the profit margins. IP is more future-proof for starters.

Last edited by a moderator:

sandman512

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick question. If i want to used the above equipment for now, how difficult in configuring and setting this up? Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Quick question. If i want to used the above equipment for now, how difficult in configuring and setting this up? Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks again.
Yes, but you will have to post the model number...you need to forward a specific port for it to work remotely...
Also, once you install this, its not going to be "for now"..the cable from the camera for TVI (coax) is not compatible with IP cameras (ethernet)..unless you plan on ripping it out. Technically out can use cat5 and baluns like this so you wont have to rewire in the future but it adds complexity to the setup
http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/AHD-HDTVI-HDCVI-CCTV-Video-Balun-p/vb-hd2.htm