Noob Q's, CPU usage, auto restart to console

100 td

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,
Total noob here, have been reading here on and off for a couple of months, just installed BI demo, one camera.
First, I know i have a bad setup, will buy a system down the track, but this should work with one cam at least? (learn on this system and buy a faster system and cams when I get the hang of it)
I was given a basically "new old stock", 2015 "BASIC" HP server, G3240 4th gen, chipset C222 which has no video support so a waste of inbuilt intel hd graphics. HP have matrox G200 video on the M/B somewhere, installed latest matrox driver from HP enterprise, running 1920 x1024 LG monitor, seems fine.

CPU - 0/1% sitting there with W10 desktop, I start BI, CPU basically 100% most of time. BI using 50 to 62% (wanders as "system" goes up and down), system 35% up and down, a dribble for others.
I have direct to disc enabled. Camera Uniview 2mp.
CPU usage - funny thing, running at 100% all the time, i would expect to hear CPU fan speed up, it's just slowly ticking over, on start up it starts about 1/2 speed & screams up to full speed then slows down to nearly nothing, then doesn't speed up again at all after hours at 100%?
Memory usage by BI - 426MB, total 46% (4GB installed) as reported by task manager
I have turned off lots of processes in W10, including powershell, which was using 20% CPU, fighting "system" for it I expect.
WHat am I missing here?

Also BI doesn't self start, I have to start it again, even though it's already running? (I have ticked the box in BI startup tab.)
I must have painted on eyes, been looking at the screen/settings too long?
Also noticed, after reboot of computer, task manager shows BI running, 40% CPU, system 0~1%, but then I have to double click BI again to get console up, have I got something wrong here, because it's not on the task bar or in hidden icons? Then it's at 100% BI 60% System 35% etc?
Thanks in advance for the help, I'm sure I'll annoy you all a lot more yet!
EDIT: This is a new W10 install with nothing else except AVG free virus, W10 updates and BI software version 4.5.8.6
EDIT: Blow me down, I actually heard the fan speed slightly up for a few seconds and slow down again, I have had the cover off the entire time and it's very easy to hear any change. This happened when tried some different camera settings, and it goes back to the colored bars then back to the camera, down to 30% then up to 100 again. Also room its warmer so perhaps there was enough cooling till then. Also noted second instance of BI running is generally around 1%

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Exclude BI folders from AVG, and Windows Defender.
Are you remoting in?

That processor is very low powered.

You have BI running as a service. That's why you have to open the console to view. It tells you that, when you set it to run as a service.

Most of this is covered in the BI help file.

Also, go through this: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

100 td

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Exclude BI folders from AVG, and Windows Defender.
Are you remoting in?

That processor is very low powered.

You have BI running as a service. That's why you have to open the console to view. It tells you that, when you set it to run as a service.

Most of this is covered in the BI help file.

Also, go through this: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

100 td

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
AVG isn't monitoring anything at the moment and defender appears to be off, one of the first things I did after w10 install. Yeah I mentioned the processor is light on grunt, but will work with it for now. Regards service, if you are using BI 99% of people would use it 100% of time, I expected it to come up minimized - where I left it last, but it appears not.
I've read the help files a few times, one thing I have had trouble with is BI not saving settings, I have found that it has taken 3 goes to get it to save, so I change a setting and go back in and it hasn't saved it for some reason, yes clicking OK on page, as no save button. So now I have managed to actually save some fps settings I have a slightly lower CPU usage.
I think my video display (system cpu usage) is a major hangup, so will see if i can find a video card for it and see how it goes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
AVG isn't monitoring anything at the moment and defender appears to be off, one of the first things I did after w10 install. Yeah I mentioned the processor is light on grunt, but will work with it for now. Regards service, if you are using BI 99% of people would use it 100% of time, I expected it to come up minimized - where I left it last, but it appears not.
I've read the help files a few times, one thing I have had trouble with is BI not saving settings, I have found that it has taken 3 goes to get it to save, so I change a setting and go back in and it hasn't saved it for some reason, yes clicking OK on page, as no save button. So now I have managed to actually save some fps settings I have a slightly lower CPU usage.
I think my video display (system cpu usage) is a major hangup, so will see if i can find a video card for it and see how it goes.
Video card won't help you..you have something seriously wrong... reinstall blue Iris..are you running the demo? Remoting in?

100 td

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi fenderman,
I haven't gotten around to reinstalling everything as yet, but did pick up an old 1G video card from a friend today and shoved it in, have had a win to some extent, about 48% to BI with one camera plus one cloned camera with no gui, with console open 58%, about 400MB memory per cam (I have had up to 3 clones to test it). 1 + 3 clones put it at 90% plus 1400MB mem. I no longer get the "system" pulling 35% on top, just 1%. I will still do a reload and reset everything and see if I can claw back anything else. Thanks again.