Noob Question: 2.5" HDD vs 3.5" HDD

Reaction score
Hi,
I've got a unique small form factor PC that i plan to use for BI, it's got an SSD already and another bracket for another 2.5" drive .
I'm on the fence between buying a 3.5" 2TB WD Purple Surveillance :TM: drive and then basically mounting the HDD bootleg style in the case or even outside of it, or just buying a 2.5" drive that will fit the other available space.

Will I be shooting myself in the foot if I go with a 2.5 HDD for case-compatibility, or is it not really a big deal?

3.5" drive 2.5" drive
Plan to run 3-4 cams at 4k utilizing substreams.

Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I've got a unique small form factor PC that i plan to use for BI, it's got an SSD already and another bracket for another 2.5" drive .
I'm on the fence between buying a 3.5" 2TB WD Purple Surveillance :TM: drive and then basically mounting the HDD bootleg style in the case or even outside of it, or just buying a 2.5" drive that will fit the other available space.

Will I be shooting myself in the foot if I go with a 2.5 HDD for case-compatibility, or is it not really a big deal?

3.5" drive 2.5" drive
Plan to run 3-4 cams at 4k utilizing substreams.

Thanks.
Hi @driftandwander

In general go with a 3.5" HDD for video storage .. the 2.5" HDD tend not to hold as much storage, cost more per GB, often can be less reliable also ...