Noob set up question

federer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Guys!
I am back. first i want to say thank you for all the help, especially from guys like Fenderman. so i went with the recommendations and got the hikvision 2cd3223i cameras. i am trying to test them out via laptop, but i cant seem to turn the camera on! i ran the SADP software but its not detecting the camera( i tried typing the default ip address too) do i need a power source when testing? i have the camera plugged into the laptop Ethernet port. is this my mistake?

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you're not plugging in to a POE (power over ethernet) hub, then yes You'll need a power source for the camera.
Probaly 12v, but check the manual.

Edit: an alternative to a POE switch is a POE injector, it will act like a POE switch and give the camera power. But if you have more than one camera, a cheap 4 port POE switch owuld be more economical.

federer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
haha i knew it. i figured it was because the ethernet alone wont porvide power. i am stupid......now i need to find a good poe switch =/ can i just plug it into nvr?

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Some NVRs do POE, so that's possible.
I just got one of these for under my deck where I'm going to have 2 cameras.
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-8-Port-100Mbps-Switch-TPE-S44/dp/B000QYEN1W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433810614&sr=8-2&keywords=trendnet+poe
Penguin..the trendnet is ok for 2 cams however note that it only has a 30w max power budget..depending on the cams used it can max out..(the hikvisions are rated at 7w max, but its awfully close to the max if you install 4)..this tp link is the same price but maxes at 53...http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433811114&sr=1-1&keywords=poe+switch

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Penguin..the trendnet is ok for 2 cams however note that it only has a 30w max power budget..depending on the cams used it can max out..(the hikvisions are rated at 7w max, but its awfully close to the max if you install 4)..this tp link is the same price but maxes at 53...http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433811114&sr=1-1&keywords=poe+switch
True, I did look at that. Where it's going there will only ever be 2 cams.
JUst wanted something cheap to run 2 cams that are a fair distance away from my main POE switch, and only wanted to run 1 cable to 'em.

federer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
fenderman! so i can just get this then? i will probably do 4-5 cams max

federer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
another follow up question: if i just want to access live real time viewing on my phone/ tablet i can just plug cameras into this poe switch right? no need for a NVR as thats for recording only.

federer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thank you so much! i will try to order the poe switch and post some pics here for you guys to see! thanks for all the recommendations and help. you should start a site or something

jimmyt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the WS-POE-8-48v60w paired with a gigabit switch I picked up for $10 - so for $50 I have enough POE 802.3af for 5 cameras at 15w each or more realistically 7 or 8 at 7w each. PTZ may need to jump up to 802.3at standard which is 25 w each. But as it is, it works well.

Here is another option:
http://wifi-texas.com/index-org.html

Looks like when paired with an inexpensive router would be more cost effective and allow you to choose number of ports and size power output as needed.

federer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
so i got the TP 4POE port switch as you guys suggested. but when i use the direct web browser method or SADP softwware method i cant log into the camera. the camera shows up under the device list but i cant access it. i tried toggling on and off the DHCP option. instead of the device activation dialog box i get the password recovery box. how do i fix this?? i am just trying to test the camera before i actually install them

jimmyt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am assuming you put the default 12345 password in?