Noob: Setting up cameras and network configuration

Reaction score
Hi folks first timer here. I am so glad to have found a site dedicated to IP Cameras. I have three different networking designs I wanted to put forth to see if anyone has any pros / cons / gotcha's.

Current Setup
I have two networks setup in my home. One is for all main traffic to the internet while the other is used to isolate traffic from my security system. Currently my Ring door bell and security system is on this network. I want to add two cameras to the network. A windows 11 PC with Blue Iris will be running on this PC with a 4TB's of SSD. (Over kill?)

Option 1 - WiFi Cameras (x2)
Add two WiFi cameras with solar batteries to the security network.

Option 2 - PoE and Power Line
Connect each camera to a PoE Splitter. That splitter would get its power from a powerline adapter and transmit video data to the PC running Blue Iris. I know of one device (Comtrend PG-9172POE Powerline Ethernet +PoE Adapter $70) that is configured to do both or I could set up two different devices. These would also be located in my attic where temps can exceed 100 degrees in the summer.

Option 3 - PoE and WiFi AP
Combination of option 1 and 2. This would be PoE cameras connected to a PoE splitter. The splitter would be attached to a WiFi network access point. The AP would be on the security network again isolated from my main network except where calls out to the internet are required. I am hoping that keeping the PC with Blue Iris on the same network would also alleviate the need to traffic outside to the network.

I should add I created two networks using two routers. They are not sharing the same addresses or subnet. Here is a link:
How to Setup Two Routers on the Same Network - Home Network Geek

Does anyone have these specific network designs in place?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi folks first timer here. I am so glad to have found a site dedicated to IP Cameras. I have three different networking designs I wanted to put forth to see if anyone has any pros / cons / gotcha's.

Current Setup
I have two networks setup in my home. One is for all main traffic to the internet while the other is used to isolate traffic from my security system. Currently my Ring door bell and security system is on this network. I want to add two cameras to the network. A windows 11 PC with Blue Iris will be running on this PC with a 4TB's of SSD. (Over kill?)

Connect each camera to a PoE Splitter. That splitter would get its power from a powerline adapter and transmit video data to the PC running Blue Iris. I know of one device (Comtrend PG-9172POE Powerline Ethernet +PoE Adapter $70) that is configured to do both or I could set up two different devices. These would also be located in my attic where temps can exceed 100 degrees in the summer.

Combination of option 1 and 2. This would be PoE cameras connected to a PoE splitter. The splitter would be attached to a WiFi network access point. The AP would be on the security network again isolated from my main network except where calls out to the internet are required. I am hoping that keeping the PC with Blue Iris on the same network would also alleviate the need to traffic outside to the network.

I should add I created two networks using two routers. They are not sharing the same addresses or subnet. Here is a link:

Thoughts?
Welcome @JohnSmith2u

Many of us have had issues with WiFi and security cameras .. thus prefer wired for power and data for the most reliable setup.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The same is true of battery powered cameras. If you're not recording 24/7 you are guaranteed to miss something important when the rubber meets the road. Recording 24/7 makes SSD drives, basically, useless since they are not designed for constant writes. Recording constant video streams will shorten their lives significantly. Recording on motion only means missing something important.

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I posted here for the 1st time once....

I wish some one had answered with what I'm about to tell you... If I would have listened it would have saved me a lot of money and time.

I'd recommend getting a decommissioned HP Elitedesk 800 G4 SFF (Small Form Factor) with a i7-8700 off eBay and as much memory as it will hold. You wont outgrow the i7 anytime soon and the SFF EliteDesk has two 3.5" drive bays. A 8TB WD purple will hold about a months worth of video with 10 cams. Personally, I use the 2nd drive bay for a 1TB purple for DeepStack images. The 64gb of Memory is for Deepstack and your also going to need either a Nvidia P400, T400 or a T600. Personally I'd go with the T600 if money wasn't an issue. If your on a budget get a used P400.

Your going to have to pull Solid CAT6 every where. WiFi will not work and you don't want stranded cable. Probably going to need a patch panel too.

For cameras, get one IPC-T5442T-ZE to figure out the what lens your going to need for how ever many IPC-T5442TM-AS your about to buy.

Switch, Buy UniFi... I'd go with the 24 port POE that has 2.5gbps ports. I personally run my UniFi controller on a Raspberry PI.

Your going to want your network behind a firewall too... So I'd go with pfSense for firewall rules, VLANS, VPN, ect... Id get a Netgate appliance. Might as well go with the 4100 that has 2.5gbps ports or if your ballin' something in 1U form factor for a rack.

While your at it might as well get a couple UPS too. APC BGM1500 seems to work good for me with NUT run on pfSense... so thats my recommendation.

I probably just waisted 15mins, but I'm counting it as my good dead for the day.

mattyp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Switch, Buy UniFi... I'd go with the 24 port POE that has 2.5gbps ports. I personally run my UniFi controller on a Raspberry PI.
Hello, Unifi POE Switches are extremely high priced compared to others that my noob brain thinks do the same thing. Is this truly a get what you pay for thing? I get they have the managed aspect, but I have also read numerous times a home user does not need or necessarily even want a managed switch. So I am curious why are you recommended this switch brand and even more curious why they are so much more expensive? I just need an 8 port switch so am searching around and want to make sure i dont regret what i end up buying. I am only running 2 cameras.

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I thought the same thing about UniFi and bought a used Netgear 24 port managed POE switch for $154. It worked, but it sucked and I can't remember if I ever did figure out how to create VLANS on that POS. I ended up buying a UniFi 24 port 1gbps POE switch anyway after finding Lawrence Systems YouTube channel while trying to learn how to use my Netgate pfSense appliance. Now I want the 2.5gbps 24 port POE. As it is today I wouldnt buy anything but UniFi... don't get me wrong, they aren't perfect but they work pretty damn good, are easy to use, and do a lot of cool stuff.

Someone change my mind.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, Unifi POE Switches are extremely high priced compared to others that my noob brain thinks do the same thing. Is this truly a get what you pay for thing? I get they have the managed aspect, but I have also read numerous times a home user does not need or necessarily even want a managed switch. So I am curious why are you recommended this switch brand and even more curious why they are so much more expensive? I just need an 8 port switch so am searching around and want to make sure i dont regret what i end up buying. I am only running 2 cameras.
Personally I am happy with unmanaged switch for my PoE IP cameras ..

I think a lot depends on what you want to do, and how much you like to play with network setup..

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Current Setup

Thoughts?
Welcome to IPCT!

1)Your term "POE splitter"; I think you mean "POE injector".
2) That setup of 2 routers is totally unnecessary. There are less costly, more flexible methods to improve wireless coverage and provide additional wired connections.
When going "LAN to LAN", as he called it, he turned the first router into nothing more than a wireless access point by disabling DHCP.
His "WAN to WAN" scheme is equally inefficient, producing a double NAT.

Lastly, routers are seldom known for very good switching sections; better to use purpose-built gigabit switches or POE switches and avoid the whole router screw up he's extolling. I've done it, it works but it's a waste of your time and hardware that is better used elsewhere, and it works poorly compared to simpler setups.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome. I have gained a lot of knowledge here in 2 years. I came in with a desire to improve a Condo's B&W 480 x 640 recorder, because the Knife and Gun club neighborhood across the Freeway has Ass clowns that bumble their way in here once in awhile.
Dont need an expensive 4TB SSD for the recorded Video folder, Unless Sky's the limit for a budget.
For the same money you could proably get a 8TB or 10 TB surveilance drive.

Reaction score
Not sure where you reside in the "United States," but I'd discourage placing anything in the attic if at all possible. My attic in the San Jose metro area easily reaches 120° in the summer, that will cook most electronic devices in due time...and troubleshooting can be a real headache when gear is in the attic (unrelated to the heat factor). I realize many people have HVAC systems in attics, but I wouldn't subject my cherished surveillance gear to such a harsh environment.

Why not use a PoE switch and skip the injectors and separate AC lines?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I will just give my usual 2cents when it comes to network switches and recommend that you look at used enterprise quality 24 or 48 port POE network switches on EBay. Companies routinely change out their switches to the latest, greatest, and fastest switches and there are tons of resellers offering these at cheap prices. Of course not all enterprise switches are created equal. Some require licenses to work properly and some don't. I personally have a few Aruba s2500-48P switches and really like them. Today I think I would recommend the Brocade ICX-6450 based on reviews on the ServeTheHome forum. I actually just picked up one myself to start playing around with (but haven't actually gotten around to playing with it yet). If you don't need the "managed" parts of the switch, you don't turn them on. But at least this way when you want to start adding VLANs or other more advanced concepts, your switch can handle it. (I actually bought the Brocade to start learning the L3 elements of these switches - in an effort to get the VLANs off my firewall and into the switch itself).

Long story short, there are plenty of great managed network switches out there for a lot less money than buying new.