Not able to access DS-2CD2532F-IWS after FW Upgrade

mancboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd appreciate it if somebody could help regarding a mistake I've made on a FW upgrade I've made to a Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-IWS. I bought it from a seller on eBay (from HK). Got the camera connected to my network and integrated onto my SecuritySpy system. I thought I would upgrade to the latest FW on the Hikvision website (Overseas) and that is where my problems began (that will teach me to read up later). I tried upgrading from the Web interface and the camera seemed to take the the file. However, I lost connectivity on reboot which is what has brought me to this forum and I realised I've caused problems for myself by upgrading with a non-Chinese FW.
I've therefore read through the various threads and tried various FW versions from the thread on here using @whoslooking's excellent instructions. However, the FW upload seems to fail, i.e.
1) Camera powers up and I can see initial ping to 192.0.0.128
2) Camera picks up TFTP server and I get the message:
Device[192.0.0.64] test tftpserver
Connect client[192.0.0.64] success
Start file[C:\TFTP\digicap.dav] transmitting
Completed file[C:\TFTP\digicap.dav] transmit

I don't get anymore message then and the ping requests then timeout. I've tried leaving the camera for 1/2 hour but seems to have just hung. Power cycling the camera doesn't help (I get 3 ping replies on power up then nothing) with the TFTP server not running.

I suspect I've learn't a very expensive lesson by not reading related forum's first but if anyone could let me know if there is something else that I could try it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Power cycling the camera doesn't help (I get 3 ping replies on power up then nothing) with the TFTP server not running.
That's normal, the camera starts up on the IP address 192.0.0.64 to find if there is a Hikvision tftp server active.
You've probably just used an invalid version of firmware, it will be recoverable with the right version.
What version did the camera start with (label + web GUI)?
It's likely that SADP will see the camera and give useful info.
It does not have to be on the same IP segment to do this.
Download the 3.x version from a Hikvision site, install it, and see what it shows for IP address and apparent firmware version.

mancboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Alastair, thanks for the quick response. Sorry, I forgot to mention that I've already tried probing with SADP (Version v3.0.0.3build20150911) but it doesn't see the camera. Tried refreshing when I get ping responses (i.e. both on boot up and when the TFTP is in progress but it always shows 0 for total of online devices). I've also tried telent'ing into the device when I get ping requests but I get a connection refused. The other thing I've tried is monitoring the TFTP file transfer using Wireshark and I can see that the file transfer is working successfully. I've attached a photo of the label on the box of the camera. Unfortunately I don't know the exact FW version as I didn't note it before I tried the upgrade (valuable lesson learnt there!) but I believe it was at least a couple of versions back from the one shown on the latest on the 'Overseas' Hikvision site.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
(no label pic attached ...)
It's unusual for SADP not to see even a 'bricked' camera, one running in the 'min-system' recovery mode.
It may be that it is a CN camera that was running 'hacked to English firmware' that's now been overwritten
The serial number on the label will have CCCH if a CN camera, CCWR for World region.
So your recovery route depends on the origin.
As a shot in the dark - you may get a working camera with CN menus with this firmware, section 02: http://www1.hikvision.com/cn/download_more_714.html
Then you may be able to downgrade to EN with this approach:https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4036-Custom-Firmware-Downgrader-5-3-0-Chinese-to-5-2-5-English

mancboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I've tried the CN FW also but with exactly the same results so it looks like I'm snookered. It's frustrating because I know it's completing the FW upload each power up, but then seems to get stuck? Not sure if there is any way I can get into the OS via serial? I've attached the label from the box FYI.
IMG_1004.jpg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I can't tell from the label what region the camera is. But it does show that it was (when manufactured) running the 5.3.0 150513 firmware.
So I'd have thought that @whoslooking 5.3.0 downgrader, linked above, would work OK.
The camera board will very likely have the usual 4-pin serial console connector, which if you're into that sort of thing will get you a lot more detail about what's going on and how to fix it.
There are some posts with the part numbers and sources for the required connector, this one gives some basic info: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/2666-UART-connection-to-recover-Hik-cameras?highlight=uart+pin+molex
This is where I got mine ages ago, but the same via Amazon or eBay would be a lot faster: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Micro-JST-ZH-1-5mm-Pitch-4-Pin-Female-connector-with-wire-and-Male-PCB-connector/1664241613.html

Last edited by a moderator:

mancboy

n3wb
Reaction score
OK. I've ordered a console connector so I'll see if I get any joy off that. I also managed to get hold of the original FW that the seller used but exactly the same results. Hopefully I will get more joy later this week.

gravykid

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the exact same issue as mancboy, however I am able to see my camera in iVMS-4200 software. The region on my camera is CCRR, so I suspect that is the problem? I upgraded all of my other cameras no problem from 5.14 (I think) to V5.2.0 with no issues. Realized now that they are all CCCH cameras. Shame, as this one was the one I really NEED to update as I had issues with the image at night that I understand is fixed in this FW.

I will have to get a hold of a PC as I only have Mac and apparently the TFTP software from Hikvision is not available on Mac. Wondering if you were ever able to get this fixed mancboy?

My camera has reverted to V4.0.8build 130906