Not able to see Text Overlay when viewing through ui3 in single view mode

erikskyten

n3wb
Reaction score
Follow up...

The two cameras in question with the overlay issue were set to H264.
I reconfigured the cameras to H265, and was then able to return to 'direct-to-disk' and the overlays show up in UI3

dain

n3wb
Reaction score
Follow up...

The two cameras in question with the overlay issue were set to H264.
I reconfigured the cameras to H265, and was then able to return to 'direct-to-disk' and the overlays show up in UI3
I had this issue with one of my camera, changing the hardware decode from Default to Intel + VPP brought the timestamp back.

Kensko

n3wb
Reaction score
The only cause I can think of is having enabled "direct to wire" streaming. That would be in Blue Iris Settings > Web Server > Advanced > Configure, or in UI3's own streaming profile configuration.

Direct to wire works for live viewing in UI3 and mobile apps, only for cameras that natively send H.264 video. And it may require "direct to disk" recording also, I'm not sure.

For troubleshooting purposes, you can force Blue Iris to use a sub stream when sending video to UI3 if you choose a
streaming quality option that is equal or lower resolution than your sub stream (e.g. 360p).
This "fixed" it for me. When reading the manual about the "Direct to Wire" option, it becomes very clear that this was reason for overlays not showing up on the main stream and was the expected behavior when enabling this option :)
I disabled it without it affecting the CPU usage at all for my 8 cameras.

Thanks to all who contributed on this thread!

Reaction score
When viewing cameras through web browser ui3. I can select a camera group. I can see all the cameras and the text overlay on each one. If I click on a camera shot. It pulls that shot up full screen. But the text overlay goes away. This just started happening recently. Not sure how to get the text overlay to show up when I have a single shot pulled up.
Are you sure you're not zoomed in when you do that? What versions for BI and UI3? Any recent updates?

Last edited: