not getting full bit rate

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have all of my 2mp Dahua cameras set to CBR, with the highest bit rate selected for each in the camera's UI, but when I look at under the camera settings, general tab in Blue Iris, they are all operating around 700-800 kB/s with the exception of my 4mp 5442 which is at around 1000 kB/s. Am I missing some setting somewhere to get full bandwidth? Thanks.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is this the "More is Better" thought process? Setting the your bitrate to CBR's highest available bitrate is just wasting disk space...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have all of my 2mp Dahua cameras set to CBR, with the highest bit rate selected for each in the camera's UI, but when I look at under the camera settings, general tab in Blue Iris, they are all operating around 700-800 kB/s with the exception of my 4mp 5442 which is at around 1000 kB/s. Am I missing some setting somewhere to get full bandwidth? Thanks.
You are confusing bytes and bits

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Is this the "More is Better" thought process? Setting the your bitrate to CBR's highest available bitrate is just wasting disk space...

Yes, I did read a bit on CBR vs VBR here a while ago, and was running VBR for a while, but decided to change to CBR when I realized that I only filled my 6TB drive halfway up in a month, and I'm only saving 30 days of video.I figured why not, since hard drive space is no issue in my application. CBR might not be any better, but it certainly is not worse than VBR from what I understand (at least in quality).

I may change my thought process when I get as many cameras as you guys.