Not getting the pre-trigger frames included in the clips

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the camera configured, as far as I can tell, with 10 pre-frames. But frequently when I view recorded clips, I can see where not only were the 'pre' clips not recorded, but what should be the *start* of the movement was not even recorded. Example, car coming home and pulling into driveway and into the garage. When I view the clip for this, I see the clip starting at with the tail end of the car pulling into the garage. What I would expect to see is the car still in the street and pulling into the driveway....as the beginning of the clip.
Am I not understanding this feature correctly?
DrivewayCamRecord.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the camera configured, as far as I can tell, with 10 pre-frames. But frequently when I view recorded clips, I can see where not only were the 'pre' clips not recorded, but what should be the *start* of the movement was not even recorded. Example, car coming home and pulling into driveway and into the garage. When I view the clip for this, all I see is the tail end of the car pulling into the garage. What I would expect to see is the car still in the street and pulling into the driveway....as the beginning of the clip.
Am I not understanding this feature correctly?
View attachment 10069
What is your cameras FPS set to?
You should match the cameras iframe interval to the fps. When using direct to disk blue iris will only begin recording when a new full frame is sent.

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking in the camera's UI, it's set for 15fps (iframe is greyed out and shows 50).
In BI, the camera is set to 20fps...so looks like I need to correct that. :)
I am using D2D.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking in the camera's UI, it's set for 15fps (iframe is greyed out and shows 50).
In BI, the camera is set to 20fps...so looks like I need to correct that. :)
I am using D2D.
No you dont need to make any changes in BI with respect to the frame rate. BI will automatically adjust on its own..you cant make the change.
Now, you want to increase your pregtrigger frames to at least 30...then you need to figure out what you need to do to change the iframe interval in your camera. What model is it?

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay...pretrigger set to 30.
The outdoor camera is a 2CD2342WD-I

Disabled h264+ on the 2342 and now the iframe field is un-greyed out. Set it to 15. The other camera is already set to 15. So now everything matches.

Last edited by a moderator:

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just had another car roll up in the driveway while I was monitoring BI. According to BI, it was recording while the car was entering the driveway, all the way to the point that the driver walked to the front door.
Afterwards, viewing the clip, it shows the recording STARTING at the point that the driver is getting out of the car. Seems to be no change in behavior.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just had another car roll up in the driveway while I was monitoring BI. According to BI, it was recording while the car was entering the driveway, all the way to the point that the driver walked to the front door.
Afterwards, viewing the clip, it shows the recording STARTING at the point that the driver is getting out of the car. Seems to be no change in behavior.
post your motion detection settings..including mask and object detection if you are using them

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
it's that 50 iframe setting. in the cam's UI, see if you have 'capture mode' enabled by chance? (in configuration/image page)

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it's that 50 iframe setting. in the cam's UI, see if you have 'capture mode' enabled by chance? (in configuration/image page)
So I *did* get the iframe thing fixed. But, it looks like I DO have the capture mode enabled on the outdoor camera (not on the indoor one though).
How exactly does this capture mode function work? Do I need it? Want it?

[EDIT] Looks like removing the capture mode may have done the trick. Just coincidentally had someone drive up. The save clip started a second or two before the car was even visible anywhere in the image. Exactly what I was looking for! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
capture mode seems to lock the camera into a specific resolution (and probably other parameters as well, like frame rate and iframe interval?) in order to work
with certain 'capture' devices. i don't know the exact details, except that things are confusing when it's on... :)

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, cool. I'll keep an eye on the recordings just to be certain that this wasn't a one-off situation.