Not Mine - Boost Mobile store Armed Robbery Paterson NJ

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I see somebody open carrying in public like at the grocery store, it doesn't make me feel safe. Instead I'm thinking things like:
-Is this asshole going to start shooting everybody?
-Where are the exits?
-What could I use as a shield that might stop a bullet?
-What's around me that could be used to disable or kill the asshole if needed?
-Does the asshole's body language indicate they might be a threat?
-How easily could I take the asshole's gun away or eject the clip if I had to?

Clearly I don't nor do I intend to ever live in Florida or Texas. That said, I'm not entirely opposed to guns and am a pretty good shot, but I don't buy into the gun lobby's answer of more guns for everyone. How many times does a 3 year old need to shoot their parents or a sibling before people wake the fuck up.

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I am not opposed to guns either, but I don't feel comfortable with open carry law in my state, every time I see someone in a public place I think what kind of lunatic he could be with their... "I am exercising my right":

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So you would rather concealed carry - same "threat" to you but you are unaware? Dont see the logic. Its really simple, licensed gun owners are not the ones shooting up stores and robbing them.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
So you get warm fuzzy feeling and high five them when you see someone walking around in public with rifles just because they can to prove the point? Maybe you are right license gun owners are no the ones shooting up stores, based what we hear in the news is they go for bigger targets such as night clubs or schools with one intention.

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They being Islamic?

Funny to hear this banter on a forum dedicated to surveillance. Short of the member who who may use their tools and abilities for harm, I don't think we gather here to spy on our neighbors or be peeping-toms. What we do collectively realize is bad people do bad things. Cars are stolen, drive by shootings, houses are cased, homes are invaded, armed robbers strike, rioters loot, others kill, and many destroy. These are not foreign to us. They may all happen in a city near you.

There are bad people who do evil things, sometimes to good people.

You can defend yourself how you see fit. But never tell me how I cannot defend myself.

Who knows, the next limitation may be security systems. Military grade cameras, low light technology, infared, auto tracking, facial recognition, loitering algorithms. Sounds like just the government should have these things?

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So you get warm fuzzy feeling and high five them when you see someone walking around in public with rifles just because they can to prove the point? Maybe you are right license gun owners are no the ones shooting up stores, based what we hear in the news is they go for bigger targets such as night clubs or schools with one intention.
You say something very important, "what we hear in the news".

We have a lot of tech guys in here and even if you aren't you may be familoar with:

GIGO , garbage in = garbage out.

Be mindful of what you are being fed.

In the intelligence world, trust nothing, verify everything.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you live in a place where "citizens" feel the need to carry weapons, I suggest finding somewhere nicer to live.

Reaction score
If you live in a place where "citizens" feel the need to carry weapons, I suggest finding somewhere nicer to live.

Bad things can happen in "nice" areas.

BTW I'm not a fan of open carry. I believe it should always be concealed carry. You want to have the element of surprise on the attacker, not show off your means of defense (which could potentially compromise it).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I get a very warm feeling when I see someone walking into a store with a holstered openly displayed weapon. I know that the person is licensed and there is a zero chance an armed robber will attempt anything while that person is in the store. There are always nutjubs who commit mass shootings...the death count is minimal despite the media hysteria. There is no evidence that it would not happen or another method would not be used (pressure cooker bombs) if they were not allowed legal access to guns. We dont outlaw cars because there are 30,000 deaths per year as a result of accidents.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats exactly the trouble with your kind of thinking. While YOU may have the luxury of choosing where to live, many folks cant. How dare anyone prevent them from protecting their lives and those of their family.

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Racist, too? Ever been to an inner city? Do poloce service your area? Notice an uptick in violent crimes in any particular areas? And are you aware of any area free of violence? Any area where violence couldn't or would not strike (a church?) ?

Why have surveillance systems? You live in a bad area?

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I get a very warm feeling when I see someone walking into a store with a holstered openly displayed weapon. I know that the person is licensed and there is a zero chance an armed robber will attempt anything while that person is in the store. There are always nutjubs who commit mass shootings...the death count is minimal despite the media hysteria. There is no evidence that it would not happen or another method would not be used (pressure cooker bombs) if they were not allowed legal access to guns. We dont outlaw cars because there are 30,000 deaths per year as a result of accidents.
Even more fatal crashes than that actually...

And you are correct... can we count the ways to inflict harm ? Putting people into metal cages and submerging them in water? Stabbing someone with a shovel over forty times? Sawing off heads with knives? Explosives made from household items? Hands and feet? Vehicles (for instamce, Nice, France)? Surely a gun isn't the only means... so why stop there?

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I smell bullshit again: your statement of "facts" are -- in fact -- simply an unsupported attribution. Unless you can provide us with conclusive studies which prove your contention...your statement is nothing more than your opinion. And, while your opinion may be correct, saying that it is true does not make it true. Posting YouTube videos does not make it true. Finding other people to join in saying it is true doesn't make it true. You may not like this, but your statement is simply your opinion...much as my statement is my opinion. Presenting it as truth hurts rather then buttresses your opinion, because at that point your statement is transformed from your opinion into bullshit.
Please remain unprotected. I hope harm never visits you.

Do not impose your views on others, no matter how strongly you may feel about them. I will protect my family as I see fit. You can do as you see fit if harm comes your way.

Maybe call the police? Video showed a typical, timely response!!

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We dont outlaw cars
However, consumers the world over now have airbags installed because back in the 1970s in a land of the free people had a right to not wear seatbelts and were killing themselves at record rates because they wouldn't adapt to world best practice of 3 point safety belts.

Unfortunately the land of the free is the only OECD country that has a homicide rate of countries without stable government.

Probably too late to put that Genie back in the bottle.

PS What the hell is with road side field sobriety testing? There are machines calledbreathalysers for that job. Much more efficient but much less entertaining for the police. :p

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
However, consumers the world over now have airbags installed because back in the 1970s in a land of the free people had a right to not wear seatbelts and were killing themselves at record rates because they wouldn't adapt to world best practice of 3 point safety belts.

Unfortunately the land of the free is the only OECD country that has a homicide rate of countries without stable government.

Probably too late to put that Genie back in the bottle.

PS What the hell is with road side field sobriety testing? There are machines calledbreathalysers for that job. Much more efficient but much less entertaining for the police. :p
The safety devices are there because they have been proven to reduce injury and death. Gun control has not been proven to reduce violence or death. In fact it often increases it. Simply comparing country to country is silly and proves nothing. Finally and most importantly your right to buy an airbag free car is not protected by the constitution. Restraining LEGAL gun ownership will not reduce crime or death. Its a silly notion and not well thought out.

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First air cushions were in 1973 on a fleet of 1000 cars assigned to a police department and an insurance company. Never caught on til the 80s as even though it was an option for some vehicles and an air bag patent was on the books since the 50s. Why? There was a lot of back room dealing concerned ingredients NHTSA. Fatality rates in car crashes are a tough beast to ever put a clear distillery cation on. So much plays a factor: the economy, price of gas, holidays, weather, areas.. tough to pinpoint. Cars have some to do with less fatals. Advances in life saving methods are not to be discounted! I'm not sure how your response fits in however... it failed to rebuke the comment made.

Speaking of numbers, be careful. Suicides are commonly put in with those homicide rates. If you have never been to a suicide or three, be even more careful. Guns are common for the deed. Others are more creative. Ever imagine tying a rope around your neck, with your back to a tree and the other end of the rope attached to a lawn tractor in drive.. resulting in asphyxiation?Reminds us how criminals get creative, too.

Funny enough... who is keeping track of these numbers in these third world countries you reference? They don't have fresh water or a stable government but they have an office which tabulates this information for statistical purposes to combat homicide rates in the USA?

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thats exactly the trouble with your kind of thinking. While YOU may have the luxury of choosing where to live, many folks cant. How dare anyone prevent them from protecting their lives and those of their family.
You do know there is another option. Clean up where you live. Most people are good (not necessarily smart) and want safety for themselves and their loved ones. A society working together can do remarkable things. Just look at gun control in Australia or social justice in Canada or New Zealand.

Prevention is a foundation of all security principals, anything else is an after thought.

Edit: [video=vimeo;97417009]https://vimeo.com/97417009[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The safety devices are there because they have been proven to reduce injury and death. Gun control has not been proven to reduce violence or death. In fact it often increases it. Simply comparing country to country is silly and proves nothing. Finally and most importantly your right to buy an airbag free car is not protected by the constitution. Restraining LEGAL gun ownership will not reduce crime or death. Its a silly notion and not well thought out.
Comparing amongst the countries is crucial. Learn from the past, learn from mistakes... you buildon't it first let us know how it goes! Or we will send spies to steal that research! Or let us know how accepting all those refugees goes Sweeden, Germany,EU?!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You do know there is another option. Clean up where you live. Most people are good (not necessarily smart) and want safety for themselves and their loved ones. A society working together can do remarkable things. Just look at gun control in Australia or social justice in Canada or New Zealand.

Prevention is a foundation of all security principals, anything else is an after thought.
Are you kidding me? Clean up where you live? You surely jest. Easy to say sitting in whitelandia. Not so easy for a citizen living in Chicago year to date!!! We still have a couple of months left.
Shot & Killed: 428
Shot & Wounded: 2361
Read the stats on Australian gun control...its not all they crack it up to be. Its obvious you live in a safe well to do area and you dont feel like you need protection. How dare you take that right from other folks. This is typical silly college/liberal thinking that is not grounded or based on logic. Also, lets not forget the second amendment. You know if we limit the first or fourth amendment we can probably save lives as well. Should we consider that too?
I challenge you to explain how disarming LEGAL gun owners will lower the shooting and murder rate. You cant.

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Edit: [video=vimeo;97417009]https://vimeo.com/97417009[/video] Whoop Dee Doo!
You have a solution to end violence? You do know violence is not new and has been around since... welll... it all began.

Your solution is based upon a big fault: most people are good. What is good? A good Muslim following the way of Mohammed could be very different than what you consider good! Is everyone good? You see it perhaps that no one should have a gun. Is that good?

And Australia and Canada have no crime? No worries? Wow! I see why so many want to move there.

Prevention is not the solution to all security.. why can I not drive onto NSA property? We live in a world of afterthought... I cannot say everyone.. get out of my way I wish to shop at the t mobile store... I could very well be there while it is robbed... Why must someone rob another? Why would someone rape? Are they good?