Not sure if what I need even exists. Please help

boland1973

n3wb
Reaction score
Good day all,
I am a telecom guy and my friend has asked me to research for him a outdoor camera system that he can remote into by computer or app.
So here is what he is asking for. And your advice is taken seriously here as surveillance is out of my wheelhouse.
4k, 180 degree vision or tilt and pan, infrared, and all the bells and whistles, so maybe audio as well.
I am running the cabling from the cameras to his office, and was thinking cat6a (might be overkill).
He wants four cameras with a nice NVR.
I have been scrolling the web and am coming up empty so I am deferring to the pros.
What do you recommend? And I have reminded him that he better be ready to open his wallet.

Thank you for your time
C.

boland1973

n3wb
Reaction score
Good day all,
I am a telecom guy and my friend has asked me to research for him a outdoor camera system that he can remote into by computer or app.
So here is what he is asking for. And your advice is taken seriously here as surveillance is out of my wheelhouse.
4k, 180 degree vision or tilt and pan, infrared, and all the bells and whistles, so maybe audio as well.
I am running the cabling from the cameras to his office, and was thinking cat6a (might be overkill).
I have been scrolling the web and am coming up empty so I am deferring to the pros.
What do you recommend? And I have reminded him that he better be ready to open his wallet.

Thank you for your time
C.
also, for me----something easy to set up!!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good day all,

Thank you for your time
C.
Welcome Boland1973,

I'm still learning so I can't say I have all your answers, I will tell you that Cat5e and Cat6 will be fine, no need for Cat6a

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

boland1973

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks mat200
On first glance of your articles, a few things have gelled for me. Spiders bugs and red lights, Domes not the best choice due to glare, this puts a hitch in a 180 angle view that he wants so maybe two bullets with 90 degree would be better for front yard and driveway viewing?
I am hoping to find a kit that has 4 cams and a NVR and we are def going to run 5e (as I have thousands of feet of it).
So, my next step is to look at the Dahua Starlight system to see if there are any packages that match my needs. Ultimately we are both green on camera systems so its up to me to help him out. Thanks again mat200, I will read the atricles more in depth tomorrow.

Reaction score
Thanks mat200
On first glance of your articles, a few things have gelled for me. Spiders bugs and red lights, Domes not the best choice due to glare, this puts a hitch in a 180 angle view that he wants so maybe two bullets with 90 degree would be better for front yard and driveway viewing?
I am hoping to find a kit that has 4 cams and a NVR and we are def going to run 5e (as I have thousands of feet of it).
So, my next step is to look at the Dahua Starlight system to see if there are any packages that match my needs. Ultimately we are both green on camera systems so its up to me to help him out. Thanks again mat200, I will read the atricles more in depth tomorrow.
Bugs/insects just love bullet cameras. Think back-to-back turrets instead. With each covering about 90 degrees, you'd get the 180-degree view you seek.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

A common mistake of beginners is to choose a wide FOV, to "see everything". Yes, you can see "wide" (eg: 180 degrees), but not "long". To identify someone with a wide lens (eg: 2.8mm), the person would have to be within 10 to 15 ft away.
Do research here on this site. Many of your quesetions, to get up the learning curve, have been answered many, many times. Forum members get fatigued answering the same basic questions, so you'll have to wait a while for answers. Digging up previous answers is much faster.
Research here for
"cam placement, choke point, cam height, test rig, lens choice"
"nvr brand, mix and match, future proof, how many cameras"
"recording audio, legality, two party consent"

I am hoping to find a kit that has 4 cams and a NVR
Kits don't get good reviews or comments by knowledgeable folks here.
Research "costco, kit, big box store,camera type"

Consider buying an nvr with more than 4 channels. Many folks decide to add more cams - more than they thought they'd initially need. "I only need 4 cams" are famous last words! A 16 channel NVR doesn't cost a lot more than an 8 channel nvr.

my friend has asked me to research for him a outdoor camera system that he can remote into by computer or app.
Is your friend technically competent? You may get roped into being an unpaid Tech Support guy.
A friend of mine asked me to help him with a system. It didn't go well at all.
"Why does this have to be so hard?"
"I don't want to replace my router, why do I need VPN?"
"I want wireless cameras. No cat5 cables, and no power cables to the camera. And I still want to record 24/7 and be able to surf in anytime for live viewing" (this technology doesn't exist, but my friend insisted that's what he "needs")
My point is: Explore your friend's expectations, since they may be impossible to satisfy. Check his willingness, and ability, to learn the technical aspects. Figure out what "helping him" means. If it means you do it, and he simply pays for the equipment, while holding you responsible for its operation & functionality, I would suggest he hire professionals, and not you. If the friendship is valuable, proceed with eyes wide open.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Fastb

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score