Nothing works

Reaction score
Is there some way to set up another subnet if you don't have the luxury of putting in another NIC?
The other option is to use VLANs. So your switch would have to support VLANs. I know nothing about them and really did not want to learn about them at the time so I opted for the dual-NIC process. The sub-nets in the dual-NIC option are physically separate. If using VLANs, they are software separated.

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is not difficult to understand, it's just difficult to get specific answers with out getting joked around by someone who would put more effort into messing with someone than it takes to answer a specific question. Thank you for that and please don't try and help me any further. I don't think you have any answers. The initial question was by someone who couldn't find any cameras and people were very helpful. I ask a question developing one of the most intelligent answers and you chime in with your repetitive wiki rant. Knock it off.

I am interested in subnetting and setting up a second network as was depicted in this conversation and understanding how it was done. All the videos I have watched on subnet go into longwinded explanations of the binary involved in IPV4 and IPV6. I understand that setting up a subnet splits the 256 available addresses but I am not sure of the specifics. I understand how to set up a second router on a LAN but not how to separate it into another network. Is this designated by using a different subnet mask? 255.255.255.x? on the second router.

Reaction score
I understand that setting up a subnet splits the 256 available addresses but I am not sure of the specifics.
In trying to help you out...
The sub-net is the third position of the IPV4 IP address. IPV4 being used in home LANs. So 192.168.1.108 is on sub-net 1, the 1 in 192.168.1.xxx

You do not need a second router, unless you want to move data between the sub-nets. But that would negate the whole idea of using sub-nets to isolate the cam LAN from the internet and your home LAN.

What @holiday stated above is probably the best solution for you.

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

This is a great video for the concept of subnets but it stops at the practical. It shows that If you want a second network within your network you would use a subnet mask of 255.255.192.1 and why. Now that you understand how this subnet mask is derived with 8 bit octets, and that is used for allocating addresses, you still don't know how to apply it.

Reaction score
It shows that If you want a second network within your network you would use a subnet mask of 255.255.192.1 and why
You missed the point. That part of the video was showing how to get more hosts or more networks.

If you want a 'second network', which is just an other sub-net, the 255.255.255.0 mask is fine. So you have 192.168.1.xxx and you can have 192.168.2.xxx and 192.168.3.xxx, get it?

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I didn't state it correctly, but check out the vid at 1:00:50 (one hour : 50 seconds). That's where he is explaining how to allocate the space in the subnet mask for the second network. Is the IP address 192.168.2.xxx going to reference the space he creates with the 255.255,255.198 subnet mask? That was the only reference in the video to defining a second network.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Its probably not the best beginner video, but there are many out there if you search you tube. I learned some stuff from Eli, but i think i forgot 1/2 of it.:banghead:

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I thought it was a pretty good vid and rewatched parts of it a few times. Much of the first part I was familiar with and this pulled allot of it together. His explanation of 8 bit was really good.

Reaction score
Is the IP address 192.168.2.xxx going to reference the space he creates with the 255.255,255.198 subnet mask? That was the only reference in the video to defining a second network.
Not sure what you mean there. The mask 255.255.255.192 is the allocation for the number of networks. The number of hosts would be 2 to the n (n=6) minus 2, or 62. Because you are using 6 bits for the host side of the mask.

But all of that is moot. Just use the standard Class C subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and you have 254 available addresses for hosts. Don't over complicate it. Then any thing in the first three octets (from the left) are possible addresses of sub nets.

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean there. The mask 255.255.255.192 is the allocation for the number of networks. The number of hosts would be 2 to the n (n=6) minus 2, or 62. Because you are using 6 bits for the host side of the mask.

But all of that is moot. Just use the standard Class C subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and you have 254 available addresses for hosts. Don't over complicate it. Then any thing in the first three octets (from the left) are possible addresses of sub nets.
I get it. Thanks.

jshimota01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bored, I was flipping through postings and saw this - I can't tell if the OP got resolved, and I see the thread go off on a couple tangents :) That said - one problem I've seen over the years is the default of many cameras coming from China etc are on the 192.168.0.x subnet. If you temporarily change your Network card IP to 192.168.0.50 / 255.255.255.0 and do a scan you may find the camera that way. The POE discussion points are valid, if the cameras not powered then it's not working so stop there till POE is resolved. either add a power source, or fix the POE till you see the camera go through a cycle to know it's up.
For port scanners I have a great old product I've used for 20 years called The Dude. However, I use the OLD 4.0beta version from 2012! (gotta google search for it - Mikrotik has moved on with this). Best damn scanner!
Also - if you set your netmask to FFFFFE00 (255.255.254.0) you can scan BOTH subnets in a single sweep. If you are not a good network person, don't play with this - but I set my router/servers/DHCPservers/AP's etc etc to this a long time ago so I didn't have to switch back and forth. FWIW. - or - multihome the card - give it multiple IP addresses - one on each subnet :).

donminter

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, and I truly mean that. Later on this post, I ask for computer and camera suggestions (see what follows).

I still don't know why my port scanner wasn't finding the cameras, but using a few of the suggestions I was able to finally set up three of the cameras I had. One of the main problems was that neither of my computers was up to snuff. The fact that none of the cameras gave any indication that it was "on" also didn't help matters.

Anyway, once I manually set up the IP address of the computer, I got the three cameras I purchased from EmpireTechAndy to work, but I removed the HIKVision PTZ camera. That's a real shame, since it is 30X and was to be my "good" camera. Oh, well. The Dahua tool, also, leaves quite a bit to be desired, although you can eventually get it to work.

Now, I'm looking for a good computer to run the cameras. I have an older dual-core i5 running around 2.4 Ghz that I'm using right now. It's working for the 5442s, but I want to add a good PTZ, hopefully with AI. Any suggestions for both the computer and the PTZ? I read the wiki, and, as is often the problem with such write-ups, it gives so much information that until you already understand most of it, you can't understand any of it. I'm looking for EmpireTechAndy cameras and Amazon listings for suggested computers. I don't really have a budget defined for this, but whatever computer I get, I'd like all four cameras to work well enough that I can ID anyone who comes into my back yard. The Eyeball is good enough for my lighted driveway, but my backyard fronts onto the neighborhood walking path, so that's the most likely point where someone might decide my house looks like a target. This is why I'd like a good PTZ that can "find" and zoom in to identify likely suspects. The dimensions of my backyard to the wrought iron fence on my side of the community walking path (from the camera's intended position) are about 70 feet to the farthest corner, to about 30 feet to the nearest corner of my yard. Eventually, the trees will grow enough to block most of the camera's view, but for right now, it has about an 80% unobstructed view. I have no choice in height, so the camera will be mounted 10 feet from the ground, which I know is not optimal.

Now, can BlueIris be set up so that motion from one of the fixed cameras can signal the PTZ where to look? Just running the PTZ on "patrol" might miss someone that the fixed direction cameras have already spotted. So I guess that's three questions:

Good PTZ camera for the "i" part of DORI.
Good computer for three 5442s and the camera from above. I've already got an external monitor I'll be setting up in my study for watching the cameras, so the computer video card/driver should be good enough for at least FHD.
Where to find out how to tweak BlueIris. I used to have a Lorex NVR, which was pretty much worthless for anything except recording blurry night scenes, which is why I have gone to BI, hoping it can be set up for more than what the NVR could do.

I used to build my own computers, but gave it up when the hardware started changing faster than hair color of a Hollywood actress. Nowadays, I'd prefer a laptop, even if it's 50% more expensive than an equivalent desktop computer. This is to say, I'm not stupid when it comes to this stuff, but I'm pretty much ignorant for camera stuff. I mean, I bought a Lorex system before, didn't I? If that doesn't prove how ignorant I am, nothing will.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i5 What? i5 alone is meaningless.
it's almost always better to have more fixed cameras vs a ptz. A ptz has a high probability to be looking the wrong direction when something happens.

Apparently you didnt study this from the Wiki: IPVM Camera Calculator V3
Or
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

Yes, BI can issue commands to other cameras.
See the BI Youtube support channel.

The IPconfig tool from Dahua works fine, if you read the included instructions and set it up properly.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which processor - i5 can be on a like 3rd generation to current generation - do you have a 4XXX series or 8XXXX series for example.

Regardless, if you follow EVERY optimization in this wiki, you will see great results. Don't skip any that you think are not important OR do not change anything you think will result in CPU savings as it usually does the opposite. Stick to what the wiki says.

Many come here saying they have done every optimization and once they start posting screenshots, we see they are not utilizing substreams...and that is a HUGE saver of CPU.

A member here was running 50 cameras with an i7 4790 and was at 100% CPU and was looking for recommendations for a new machine. After strong persuasion by many of us, he reluctantly agreed to do every optimization and is now at 30% CPU. Direct-to-disc and substreams are a must....

You have 4 cameras, so either that i5 is a sucky laptop unit or you are not optimized.

And do not use a laptop - they are not designed for 24/7 operation and will slow down the CPU to keep the unit cooler.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If you can get your hands on an Hp Elitedesk G2-G3 or g4 800 model in SFF ( Small Form Factor), They are set up nicely to add the stuff you want to run BI.
like this. I see a lot of guys are running bunches of Cameras on the i7-6700 CPU. oh wait this one has NO OS. check my next link.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.