Now the problem neighbours are asking for my help

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
There was an "occurence" at my problem neighbour's house this morning in the very early hours. I caught it when I reviewed all the video but we won't into details (yet).

When I was out walking the dog, they came to the house and spoke to my wife. She played dumb and said she would tell me to review the video (the videos I've already stored on my external drive to give to the cops). But there's no way I'm even showing them a picture of the suspect who I caught 7 camera including the BoobieCam I mounted yesterday. The BC got a perfect shot of his face as did other cams.

Knowing these folks, they'd recognize him and go hunt him down with machetes. I don't need to be involved. They haven't come back but I will tell them I'm only handing video over to the cops and I'm 99% sure they won't report this. There's rumours they're involved in drugs and I think there's other criminal elements after them now.

Funny, the people I spend the most time monitoring are now needing my help. Funny that.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow.

I am sure many of us have similar stories, well not the machete part lol.

One of my neighbors is adamant that cameras are a waste and if someone stole from him well then they needed it more than they did.

Well someone keyed his car and guess who he came to...

Then he was hot to trot he wanted cameras so I wrote out a camera plan and after a few days he decided to go with Ring lol.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay, they haven't asked again for video and they haven't gone to the cops.

So here's the guy fleeing who I suspect was trying to get into his house. He was moving so fast he ran into a bush when he rounded the corner. 99% sure that's a knife in his hand.

This is from the VTO2211 so that cam isn't great on that thing. No blur in the other videos.

Things may have gotten spicy for them.

zoo_knife.png

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score

So here's the guy fleeing who I suspect was trying to get into his house. He was moving so fast he ran into a bush when he rounded the corner. 99% sure that's a knife in his hand.

This is from the VTO2211 so that cam isn't great on that thing. No blur in the other videos.

View attachment 166786
If they come back asking, or threaten for footage, give them a shitty capture like this and tell them that's all you have.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If they come back asking, or threaten for footage, give them a shitty capture like this and tell them that's all you have.
Truth that LOL.

I am tired of being the investigative unit for my subdivision. Get your own cameras LOL.

I gave the neighbor the pics of the person keying the car and asked them not to share....well we know what happened....

It was a neighbor kid and now people are freaking out of the quality I got of somebody across the street.

They are all like my Ring won't do that. Well duh. But some are expressing their not so pleasant feelings about my cams now.

Unless it is a police matter, I will say my cams were down at that time LOL.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Truth that LOL.

I am tired of being the investigative unit for my subdivision. Get your own cameras LOL.

I gave the neighbor the pics of the person keying the car and asked them not to share....well we know what happened....

It was a neighbor kid and now people are freaking out of the quality I got of somebody across the street.

They are all like my Ring won't do that. Well duh. But some are expressing their not so pleasant feelings about my cams now.

Unless it is a police matter, I will say my cams were down at that time LOL.
Sounds like the parents are mad at you, because your cameras picked him up keying the car. They are pissed that their kid got caught and that you are the problem. So far I have not had that problem in my neighborhood. If something happens they come over for a looksee, and if need be, I give them a USB drive of the video.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
We meet a lot of business/home owners ask for a system and disappear, when they got big lost again they will check back and purchase things fast, but lost happen. Sometimes this happen very soon after they asked for a security system.

Last edited:

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY

These folks spend all day trying to find a bit of cash to buy more booze so I don't think they'd have much of a budget for cams! Lol
Everything is getting expensive here too, I order pizza and some pasta for dinner twice last few days because of hot weather. The total was close to $300. I just realized if I order one more time this week that money is enough to buy one SD4A425DB-HNY mini ptz already. :facepalm:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Everything is getting expensive here too, I order pizza and some pasta for dinner twice last few days because of hot weather. The total was close to $300. I just realized if I order one more time this week that money is enough to buy one SD4A425DB-HNY mini ptz already. :facepalm:
woooo, that is too expensive. Last time we have 12 people at Pizza hut cost 140usd.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Things here are expensive but booze is cheap. Especially whatever home brew they drink. I mean, they have no mortgage, no property tax, spend nothing to maintain nor improve their property, etc.

They are, truly, what my father calls "the other half".

Oh, yeah, and every trip back to Canada, food is more expensive especially any of the delivery apps (Uber Eats, etc). Inflation seems to be through the roof everywhere.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Spent over an hour this morning pulling clips off of the NVR. Lots of activity last night. These folks are up to something and it can't be good.

One of their clan, the skinny one in the vest, had a bit of an encounter with someone I don't recognize. His weapon of choice seemed a little ambitious but it seemed to get the message across.

Time to get the cops up to speed on what's happening.

Quick and dirty phone video I sent to someone on WhatsApp.

View attachment WhatsApp Video 2023-07-03 at 9.16.45 AM.mp4

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score

View attachment 166786
I think it's pretty clear it's the shutter. You have plenty of light so if manual control is available, try setting 4ms. I'm guessing it's about 8ms atm.

If it goes too dark, unlikely but.....then try upping the gamma slighly to compensate.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it's pretty clear it's the shutter. You have plenty of light so if manual control is available, try setting 4ms. I'm guessing it's about 8ms atm.

If it goes too dark, unlikely but.....then try upping the gamma slighly to compensate.
The VTO has no manual exposure settings. FPS, bitrate, brightness, contrast, etc.

We only use it as a VTO and to get a better idea of the height of a suspect.

I have some awesome video of that guy that I won't post here. That pic was posted because it's almost useless but shows what appears to be a knife in his hand.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Prioritize your safety and leave the matter in the hands of the authorities.
I gave the video to the cop I usually deal with. Haven't heard anything.

Neighbours never asked again. Considering her husband stole my downstairs neighbour's patio chairs last year and we had him arrested as we caught him on 8 cameras, she's a bit shy. Lol