nVIdia GPU Hardware Accelerated, no change.

MxDx

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm using Blue Iris and so far a huge fan of it. I do have a GTX 1050TI installed on my system, and wanted to use hardware accelerated gpu. I selected it from the settings menu, "Nvidia Cuda" and restarted Blue Iris, and no change on my GPU load. I did see the memory on the GPU rose from 512MB to 2GB, when I launched BI, but no change on my GPU usage. My CPU although is at 95% constant.

I have (9) 720p IP Cameras, on a 4 core 2.99ghz Xeon Server.

If I run a GPU stress test, I can see the GPU load increase too 100%, which tells me GPU is fine. Are there other steps I am missing in enabling GPU processing?

Thanks,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm using Blue Iris and so far a huge fan of it. I do have a GTX 1050TI installed on my system, and wanted to use hardware accelerated gpu. I selected it from the settings menu, "Nvidia Cuda" and restarted Blue Iris, and no change on my GPU load. I did see the memory on the GPU rose from 512MB to 2GB, when I launched BI, but no change on my GPU usage. My CPU although is at 95% constant.

I have (9) 720p IP Cameras, on a 4 core 2.99ghz Xeon Server.

If I run a GPU stress test, I can see the GPU load increase too 100%, which tells me GPU is fine. Are there other steps I am missing in enabling GPU processing?

Thanks,
your load is super light. you dont need any hardware acceleration. 2.99ghz Xeon Server tells us nothing what is the model?
ensure you are using direct to disk. see wiki above for proper setting to optimize blue iris..most likely your old server is as powerhog and costs more to run than a replacement pc...you can run blue iris on a 100 dollar i5-3570 at under 20 percent load.

MxDx

n3wb
Reaction score
your load is super light. you dont need any hardware acceleration. 2.99ghz Xeon Server tells us nothing what is the model?
ensure you are using direct to disk. see wiki above for proper setting to optimize blue iris..most likely your old server is as powerhog and costs more to run than a replacement pc...you can run blue iris on a 100 dollar i5-3570 at under 20 percent load.
To be completely transparent, I use a HP DL380 G7 that I got, decked out with (16) 500GB SAS drives, dual xeon 24 total core count at 2.99 GHz processors. 36gb of ram to run my other VMs that I use and docker containers.

I run unraid and have Windows 10 VM which runs Blue Iris with GPU passthrough, I set aside 4 cores to the VM and have enabled write to disk, i found the wiki optimization write up after i posted this post, then the load dropped to 60% for (9) 720p cameras. I previously used zone minder. These cameras are 1080p, but I had to down scale to 720p to keep the load some what light. I'll be trying setting them back to 1080p with blue Iris.

My brother gave me his 1050ti, I wanted to use this GPU for something and read that BI supports hardware acceleration.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
BI does support Cuda acceleration but that might not work or be a major problem with a VM. I'm running 10 cameras at 1080P, 10FPS, and CPU utiliation on an i7, 6700K, is under 20%. If I enable acceleration with Cuda, a 1060-3MB, it drops to just over 10%. Frame rate can be a killer so what frame rates are your cameras set to?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
To be completely transparent, I use a HP DL380 G7 that I got, decked out with (16) 500GB SAS drives, dual xeon 24 total core count at 2.99 GHz processors. 36gb of ram to run my other VMs that I use and docker containers.

I run unraid and have Windows 10 VM which runs Blue Iris with GPU passthrough, I set aside 4 cores to the VM and have enabled write to disk, i found the wiki optimization write up after i posted this post, then the load dropped to 60% for (9) 720p cameras. I previously used zone minder. These cameras are 1080p, but I had to down scale to 720p to keep the load some what light. I'll be trying setting them back to 1080p with blue Iris.

My brother gave me his 1050ti, I wanted to use this GPU for something and read that BI supports hardware acceleration.
Dump that old server. Its a huge powerhog. Put a killawatt meter on it. Sell it. Buy two separate machines. One for your vm one for blue iris. 100 bux each. Will use way less power and be much more reliable.