Nvidia graphics for BI?

Landy

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm investigating alternatives to my existing QNAP "Surveillance Station" (OK, but not great) product because I need to install more cameras and add a second system in another location. So far BI seems to be reasonably well thought of, so I'm going to give it a try.

Whilst most of the requirements seem straightforward, I have read conflicting opinions about graphics cards. BI can use QuickSync hardware decoding built ion to the i7 processor, but various posts on this forum advise against installing a discrete graphics card. This is contrary to BI's hardware recommendations which includes "nVIDIA graphics adaptor for efficient screen display".

Assuming that when the Nvidia card is installed the built-in graphics remain enabled with drivers installed (so both graphics systems are enabled in BIOS and have their relevant drivers installed), is there likely to be a problem? Can someone clarify why a discrete card driving the screen is not beneficial, assuming that it doesn't disable Quicksync?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can someone clarify why a discrete card driving the screen is not beneficial, assuming that it doesn't disable Quicksync?
because unless you are displaying a bunch of 4k cameras, it adds cost, heat, power consumption and another point of failure.

Landy

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, that makes sense. The machine that I'm planning to use as an initial testbed (i5 4670K 8GB) has a GTX980 in it, but I'm only looking at 6 or so cameras so I'll take it out. Thanks!