NVR Advice Please

TroyNVie

n3wb
Reaction score
I am new here and wondering which NVR would be best suited for my proposed camera system?

I plan on purchasing up to 8 of these cameras for the interior and exterior of my garage (24' x 24' detached structure at a private residence): Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

While I plan on having at most 8 cameras, is the marginal cost of purchasing an NVR with the capability for more cameras (e.g., 16) worth it?

Is there a downside, besides cost, to purchasing an NVR that has the capacity for "extra" cameras?

Do devices such as a laser line or [PIR + Radar] device habitate one of the "camera slots"?

Thank you in advanced for any and all feedback.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the force is strong in this young jedi..

always buy a 16ch NVR, even if installing a handfull of cameras.. you'll add a 9th camera before you know it.

external IO ports are not channels.. individual cameras are.

TroyNVie

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you nayr. Is there are particular NVR that you would recommend for my situation? My preference is to be in the $250 - $350 range, but if there is a great NVR for a little more (say 15%), I would strongly consider it..

murphy2u

n3wb
Reaction score
Try one of these: Aliexpress.com : Buy DAHUA 8/16/32CH 1U 4K&H.265 NVR support 2HDD Onvif NVR5208 4KS2 NVR5216 4KS2 NVR5232 4KS2 from Reliable 265 nvr suppliers on BEC Technology Co.,Ltd

With a single large (4TB+) WD Purple, and if you need more storage you can add a 2nd.

You also need a PoE switch, or get the version of NVR w/built in PoE.. but I prefer external PoE
Nayr--why do you prefer the separate PoE--I noticed you had that kind of setup on your profile (with the midspans)? Just curious. Would that answer still apply if you're not running a rackmount setup? Thanks in advance.
Matt

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its alot more flexible.. but off the top of my head
  • You can still directly connect to cameras and configure them independently of NVR.. If you want to use ANY 3rd party cameras then this will be needed as the NVR wont be able to configure them.. and many cameras have more options/features built into them than the NVR will let you configure... configuring cameras through the NVR kinda sucks IMHO
  • You can run other PoE devices such as Wireless Access points, VoIP Phones, Automation Appliances (Raspbery Pi for example), etc.
  • You can branch off switches if you have to get creative w/wiring a network
  • More controll over the network and whats going on.. easier to monitor cameras w/network monitoring tools etc.
  • You can have all the wiring terminate in a easy to wire central point and hide the NVR someplace more discrete and less likely to be found.

Last edited:

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok so I went with the NVR5216-12-4KS2 and I will be searching for a POE Switch.
Any thoughts right now i will be using 2 cameras at this time Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) (more to order)
I will be putting the NVR in an attic space running one cable (cat6) from the switch in the basement. The basement is where the camera wires terminate 4 at this moment. And I may add up to 3 in and around the inside of the house.
If I want to add more cameras can this switch be piggybacked?
Will this switch have enough power for each camera (Supports PoE Power up to 32W for each PoE port)
recommended to me below: Model Number:UP3010FSN
Aliexpress.com : Buy 802.3af/at POE 30w Output 8+2 Ports Ethernet Switch with 8 poe ports and 2 uplink port for dahua POE switch,free shipping from Reliable switch with poe suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Thanks for your help

Andrew G

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sounds like a decent plan; except for shoving the NVR in an attic.. your hdd's wont last long if you do such things.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
besides the environmental stress of the attic, other drawbacks could be;
- programming the NVR, using the NVR's native UI (as versus a browser to NVR's web server)
- Monitor and mouse connection to NVR (is most convenient when close by)
- connecting alarm inputs and outputs (PIR motion, strobe light)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, every house has some great hiding spots... you just needa find em, under stairs, dead spaces between cabinets (corners usually) in the kitchen, in the garage even is better than the attic..

you can also hide them in things unlikely to be stolen, like inside that old broken VCR you wont get rid of heh.. get clever, not lazy and throwing stuff in the attic because its a pain to get too.

jr4net

n3wb
Reaction score
nayr, I will order this NVR..

Try one of these: Aliexpress.com : Buy DAHUA 8/16/32CH 1U 4K&H.265 NVR support 2HDD Onvif NVR5208 4KS2 NVR5216 4KS2 NVR5232 4KS2 from Reliable 265 nvr suppliers on BEC Technology Co.,Ltd

With a single large (4TB+) WD Purple, and if you need more storage you can add a 2nd.

You also need a PoE switch, or get the version of NVR w/built in PoE.. but I prefer external PoE
Aliexpress.com : Buy 802.3af/at POE 30w Output 8+2 Ports Ethernet Switch with 8 poe ports and 2 uplink port for dahua POE switch,free shipping from Reliable switch with poe suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd
Do you recommend getting this POE switch or getting one with more ports for future use?
thanks baby grasshopper trying to get feet wet.

TroyNVie

n3wb
Reaction score
Could I purchase the version of the NVR that you suggested with a built in POE, and then at a later date, decide to use a separate POE (with the same NVR) instead?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
seem fine, I dont have any direct experience with it.. but it should do the job, since it has 2 GigE ports on it you can uplink it to a 2nd one later if needed w/out a penalty.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would not buy some unknown random switch-it is the heart of your setup ...for the same money, you can get two of these....you get the benefit of managed switches and a known reliable brand.
Amazon.com: ZyXEL 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Web Managed PoE Switch with 60 Watt Budget [GS1200-5HP]: Computers & Accessories
if you are going with 7 cameras or less then this is also a good option Amazon.com: ZyXEL 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed PoE Switch with 70 Watt Budget - Fanless Design [GS1900-8HP]: Computers & Accessories

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

thomas2013

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
its alot more flexible.. but off the top of my head
  • You can still directly connect to cameras and configure them independently of NVR.. If you want to use ANY 3rd party cameras then this will be needed as the NVR wont be able to configure them.. and many cameras have more options/features built into them than the NVR will let you configure... configuring cameras through the NVR kinda sucks IMHO
  • You can run other PoE devices such as Wireless Access points, VoIP Phones, Automation Appliances (Raspbery Pi for example), etc.
  • You can branch off switches if you have to get creative w/wiring a network
  • More controll over the network and whats going on.. easier to monitor cameras w/network monitoring tools etc.
  • You can have all the wiring terminate in a easy to wire central point and hide the NVR someplace more discrete and less likely to be found.
What are you using to adapt RPi to use PoE? Any stability issues with RPi 3's steeper power requirements 5.1v and 2.5 amp?