NVR and Camera Password – how do they protect TOGETHER?

Valdas

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi ipcamtalk Community,

I have installed successfully new Hikvision NVR DS-7608 NI-I2/8P 8 POE (Australian stock).
I still use older Hikvision 4 to 5 MP cameras (Chinese vendors), some with upgradable firmware (I cant see camera upgrade option in this recorder and I probably don't need it). I am planning to get one new 8MP Australian stock camera. I can access everything on Web interface as well. Most of my settings are default.

My cameras only work in plug-and-play mode and you can not change/save password manually. IP camera security tab shows “N/A”. At the same time, you can see 6 digits as password (in plug-and-play mode menu) which apparently is not even default 8 digits “admin123” (which I used for old Hikvision NVR). Also you can not save “use the password for IP cameras added by default protocol”. Meanwhile, video encryption option was saved and is running.

My question is: Are my cameras protected from unauthorized Web viewing? Is strong NVR's password shielding my cameras as well or they are unprotected? If cameras unprotected, what can I do about it?

Many thanks.

Regards,
Valdas

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi ipcamtalk Community,

I have installed successfully new Hikvision NVR DS-7608 NI-I2/8P 8 POE (Australian stock).
I still use older Hikvision 4 to 5 MP cameras (Chinese vendors), some with upgradable firmware (I cant see camera upgrade option in this recorder and I probably don't need it). I am planning to get one new 8MP Australian stock camera. I can access everything on Web interface as well. Most of my settings are default.

My cameras only work in plug-and-play mode and you can not change/save password manually. IP camera security tab shows “N/A”. At the same time, you can see 6 digits as password (in plug-and-play mode menu) which apparently is not even default 8 digits “admin123” (which I used for old Hikvision NVR). Also you can not save “use the password for IP cameras added by default protocol”. Meanwhile, video encryption option was saved and is running.

My question is: Are my cameras protected from unauthorized Web viewing? Is strong NVR's password shielding my cameras as well or they are unprotected? If cameras unprotected, what can I do about it?

Many thanks.

Regards,
Valdas
Nothing is protected, not the cameras not the NVR. You cannot expose either to the internet. see VPN Primer for Noobs