NVR and Cameras that connect by WiFi

Reaction score
So here's the problem. We need to install cameras that we don't have to run Netwerk wiring to. We have power but in order to get Network wiring it would require far too much work. We are using Arlo's with multiple bases and that gets us by but have a few problems. There is no way for management to view all the cameras at one time on a tv or computer and constantly monitor streaming like you would with a regular wired NVR. All the wireless NVR I keep finding the cameras have to connect to the NVR, not the WiFi network.

We need an NVR for simplicity. Don't want to use a NAS device or computer. We also have a second building and it is on the same wireless network so wireless cameras connecting the WiFi would be ideal there too.

Is there any new solution I am not aware of?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope. Cameras connected to Wifi are problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to send cameras through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your system. And then any distance will slow the speed even more.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a wifi camera and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The arlos "work" because they are not 24/7 streaming. They only transmit when you open the app or there is motion. And they do even more compression on that data to pass it along.

Not ideal, but consider using a powerline adapter that transmits data over your electric lines. Will get a little expensive depending on how many cameras, but it will beat a wifi all day long. Many here, including myself, use them and they work very well.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So here's the problem. We need to install cameras that we don't have to run Netwerk wiring to. We have power but in order to get Network wiring it would require far too much work. We are using Arlo's with multiple bases and that gets us by but have a few problems. There is no way for management to view all the cameras at one time on a tv or computer and constantly monitor streaming like you would with a regular wired NVR. All the wireless NVR I keep finding the cameras have to connect to the NVR, not the WiFi network.

We need an NVR for simplicity. Don't want to use a NAS device or computer. We also have a second building and it is on the same wireless network so wireless cameras connecting the WiFi would be ideal there too.

Is there any new solution I am not aware of?
Hi @sloppydogdrool

I tried to do what you are doing .. attempting NOT to run the cabling .. eventually gave up and listened to what others are saying here ..

If you want a quality security camera system setup .... you are going to need to run the cabling.

As @wittaj note, powerline adapters can be useful, for example if you want to connect cameras in a detached garage to your house ..

note: you can hire a low voltage contractor to run the cables if you do not want to do a DIY cable installation

Reaction score
This is for a business and yes we're going to hire a contractor. After the first comment here I was finally able to talk the boss into hiring it done and getting something professional or at least semi-professional. He struggled with the fact that we don't need high-quality cameras. The cameras were using her 12 years old and the NVR they are attached to is problematic. All we use them for is crowd control. We need to be able to monitor when people are in areas and the staff is getting overwhelmed so we can move our staff around the crowd. Now here's one I will report back on it's going to be interesting. We have two buildings that are connected by a wireless bridge. One of those devices that's like two little satellite dishes pointed at each other. And it's quite a distance away with wireless hotspots in each building. We still have good Internet speed and ping times. It will be interesting to see how the video carries across that. They only want one NVR.

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We need an NVR for simplicity. Don't want to use a NAS device or computer.
I had a 8 channel Hikvision NVR. Review footage was difficult as it only works in IE and mobile app, mobile app is slow, no motion detection with my onvif cameras, motion alert is impossible to use as there is just too many false alert, and etc. So I tried out BlueIris for free and I liked it so much that I bought it the second day to install it on a $30 used PC. Then I sold the Hikvision NVR on ebay and never look back since.
BlueIris is cheap at $60 and it gives you so much features and function you can never have on a NVR. Function like AI looking at the photo to determine what is in the photo, any device with a modern browser can view the live feed or footage, I can set it to text or email me if the AI see a person in the picture at my specified hours, communicate to my Home Assistant, support MQTT, and many many more.

I strongly suggest you try out BlueIris for free on a PC.

Reaction score
I looked into it on here before and so many people with expereince told me it requires too much PC power for the # of cameras we needed. So I abandoned the idea.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I looked into it on here before and so many people with expereince told me it requires too much PC power for the # of cameras we needed. So I abandoned the idea.
fyi -

Newer PCs can be very power efficient .. newer chips handle the appropriate H264 decoding well ... I would consider a newer i5 desktop