NVR and Untangle setting help

Tengu

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I have my NVR(nic1) and cameras on 172.17.2.x and my local my LAN (untangle) is on 192.168.2.x

I have assigned the second nic on the NVR as DHCP and it is now on 192.168.2.x

Do I need to block the NVR nic 2 from the internet?

With no firewall rule created-
I've managed to set up gDMSS on my android phone and I am able to connect to the cameras over wifi on my lan
I can access the NVR's web GUI on my computer using 192.168.2.x
I've set up SmartPSS on my computer and can access all the cameras.

BUT if i create a firewall rule blocking the NVR's nic2 address I can no longer connect to the NVR or cameras on lan over wifi using my android phone and the gDMSS app.

All other access is still possible
Why does blocking the NVR from the internet stop me from connecting to it on lan? using wifi?

Hope this makes sense.

Tengu

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've done some more testing...
So, if I disable the rule in untangle blocking the Dahua NVR's nic2 ip address I can access the cameras via gDMSS via the wan side... wifi on phone turned off.

I should mention that I set up the gDMSS app and the connection using the inbuilt P2P function on the Dahua NVR.... scaned the QR codes
Will this make a difference?

And MORE importantly is it secure?
Can I use P2P with an OpenVPN connection to remotely via my cameras OR do i have to use ip address and DDNS?

Tengu

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, I've turned off P2P on the NVR and I've now set up gDMSS using ip address/domain

I can now view the cameras on gDMSS app even when the NVR's nic2 ip address is blocked

Do I need to block the NVR from the internet? Is it likely to want to try and call home? Is it a security issue if its not blocked?

If the NVR's nic2 ip address is blocked using untangles firewall rules to block its ip from accessing the internet, will I still be able to access the NVR and view the cameras remotely using OpenVPN? Setting up a server on Untangle and exporting the key to my phone?