NVR + camera, can see only by local IP or by external if connected to same Wi-Fi

zaratustra

n3wb
Reaction score
I have Hikvision NVR connected by wire to TP-LINK router, Hikvision camera connected to NVR by wire. All works fine. But when I try to connect to NVR from notebook by wi-fi I can only do this by local IP of NVR or by external IP but only when connected to that wi-fi. For example if I connect to other wi-fi or use vpn - it says can not connect to server. Here are screenshots of my settings. Can somebody help me what is wrong with that settings? Thanks!

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
For example if I connect to other wi-fi or use vpn - it says can not connect to server.
That's probably a good thing - as you are giving away your external IP address and the devices and ports it's connected to on a public web page.
That is not a sensible or safe thing to do - you are inviting trouble from the bad guys.

zaratustra

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I know that. What I need is to be able to connect from internet to this camera. Even bad guys must enter pw, which is not simple)

zaratustra

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, that's many cams!)) But I still want to know how to solve my problem. Even if somebody will see that cam - no worries, nothing to hide there)

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
vpn tunnel would be your first choice
If you need to see what’s happening when you’re not home
If that’s not your thing or a bit hard to do at the moment
Why don’t you down load the hikvision app and register an account
Then update your nvr to the latest firmware
Once your account is registered use the code under the nvr to register the device online the code will also be needed for the encryption to unlock the stream for viewing its p2p but still not as safe as a VPN tunnel

zaratustra

n3wb
Reaction score
This is more unwanted, but I still want to have access to it from outside for myself.