NVR - Do I keep my Hikvision, or go DAHUA?

qbhatti

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi.

I am new to this forum, but have been lurking for awhile and find lots of useful stuff on here - keep it up, community!

I have a DS7608NI-K2 NVR and I used non-hik cameras in the past. I was able to get hold of 8x Dahua 4mp IP cameras for a great price and I am in the process of installing these.

The question I have is - should I go for a DAHUA NVR, and if so, which one? It is really hard to work out which is the best bang-for-buck one that I can get hold of in the UK.
I am asking this as I am getting stuttering on 6-cam view of all cameras that wasnt there before. All cameras are going into a Netgear GS116PP 180W POE Switch that is going into the NVR, wired with Cat 7A cable that I was able to get hold of and into the roofspaces before the builders put the boards on.

So, any ideas as to the best option?

Speedbird1

n3wb
Reaction score
I cannot comment on the actual quality of the cameras but I feel i can comment on the quality of the software used in Dahua.
Up till recently it worked fine and i could access remotely on my iPhone but now, not a chance. It works fine on my computers at home but if you want to access remotely, I would suggest you think hard before changing.
I'm considering moving to Hikvision for this reason.

qbhatti

n3wb
Reaction score
OK. thanks for that. the remote worked well, not sure if I need to change some settings.
I see there is a DAHUA nvr that allows 320mbps of incoming traffic, so that should cope with the 8x 4mp cameras I have (i may get more), just trying to work out if the limitation is of the NVR or the cameras.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi.

I am new to this forum, but have been lurking for awhile and find lots of useful stuff on here - keep it up, community!

I have a DS7608NI-K2 NVR and I used non-hik cameras in the past. I was able to get hold of 8x Dahua 4mp IP cameras for a great price and I am in the process of installing these.

The question I have is - should I go for a DAHUA NVR, and if so, which one? It is really hard to work out which is the best bang-for-buck one that I can get hold of in the UK.
I am asking this as I am getting stuttering on 6-cam view of all cameras that wasnt there before. All cameras are going into a Netgear GS116PP 180W POE Switch that is going into the NVR, wired with Cat 7A cable that I was able to get hold of and into the roofspaces before the builders put the boards on.

So, any ideas as to the best option?
Hi qbhatti

The general advice: Match the OEM of the NVR with the OEM of the Cameras, and check that the NVR matches the or exceeds features set of the cameras.

That noted, if the NVR can handle ONVIF - check the profile it supports, and check if the cameras support ONVIF - if so you can use the ONVIF config on the channel ( cameras and NVR need to be set for ONVIF on that channel used )

I cannot comment on the actual quality of the cameras but I feel i can comment on the quality of the software used in Dahua.
Up till recently it worked fine and i could access remotely on my iPhone but now, not a chance. It works fine on my computers at home but if you want to access remotely, I would suggest you think hard before changing.
I'm considering moving to Hikvision for this reason.
HI Speedbird1,

Check for updated firmware on the NVR ( applies to either Dahua or Hikvision OEM NVRs .. )

This is why a lot of the members like Blue Iris btw - as often NVR models can stop being supported for updates.
( as well as cameras will have EOL for firmware updates ) With Blue Iris, you can purchase updates if needed once you have used your licensed updates ( iirc time from when you purchased Blue Iris )

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Sometimes I swear at the DVR Sometimes I swear at the Blue Iris PC. As a Maintenance man onsite of a 74 unit Condo in St. Paul Mn, when I review timelines to see if the postal thieves (stolen mail carrier keys from Minneapolis riots and looting) have returned to steal mail, I find the Night Owl (Hikvision) motion markers easily and the simplicity of the
Dvr timeline makes a quick overnight review fairly painless.
But having learned some basics about Blue Iris, The motion event search is put on screen in both a horizontal timeline view and a vertical panel of snapshots showing motion triggers with a visual reference. after Learning how to use this I can save more time reviewing “footage”, as the Camera system is just one aspect of my Job. Although this year it has been a more valuable tool for both law enforcement and residents.