NVR doesn't seem to save changed passwords for cameras

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all. I have a Dahua DHI-NVR5216-16p-4ks2e that I got off the (very helpful) Andy. I have just now upgraded to latest firmware without an issue.

From the outset, I noticed that the individual camera login/passwords don't save. That is, I log in via the web GUI, go camera>camera list, tick on camera of interest and double click.

I get a window called "modify", and default username and password is "admin". I can seem to change the password in this window without issue, what when I return to it later, it still seems to be at the default settings.

What am I missing?

Cheers, Mat

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That popup window is to allow you to enter the proper credentials etc for the NVR to properly recognize the camera, it wont modify the user/pass

The cameras will take the password of the NVR by default.

You have to go to the camera web GUI itself to change the password. Once you do, you'll have to go back to that box and enter the new credentials for the NVR to recognize the camera.

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That popup window is to allow you to enter the proper credentials etc for the NVR to properly recognize the camera, it wont modify the user/pass

The cameras will take the password of the NVR by default.

You have to go to the camera web GUI itself to change the password. Once you do, you'll have to go back to that box and enter the new credentials for the NVR to recognize the camera.
OK silly question - how do I go directly to the Camera GUI's?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Start here

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks! That seemed to work for at least one cam, however:

- the settings that I installed directly onto the camera (ipc-t5241h-as-pv) IVS via the camera's web GUI don't seem to appear on the NVR when I use it's GUI. Is that normal? It does, regardless, seem to be applying the rules i installed (such as the light coming on as a solid light during the evening)

- my ipc-t5442tm-as 4mp 2.8mm cam allows me to set IVS rules via its GUI, such as a tripwire, and it all looks happy, however when I go to the search function via the NVR GUI, there is nothing at all on the time bar by way of events (as opposed to my other 2 cams, which are busily coloured with various noted incidences)

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s not unusual for there to be differences thats why I only rely on the camera GUI for settings.. Try rebooting the NVR once you’ve made changes in the camera GUI and see if they synch up. In theory they should .

But resist the urge to make camera adjustments via the NVR as much as possible.

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Fish. Understood. Yeah, I had tried a reboot (both camera and NVR). I like to be able to see the little coloured stripes along the timeline indicating various events, but the one particular camera won't do it. Oddly, I can do an "IVS Search" and events are all logged on the little thumbnail video windows, just not marked in the correlating places along the "search" timeline. Hmmm...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I think there are compatibility issues between firmware editions on any given camera model and NVR combo with so many releases. That’s why I ignore the NVR camera settings except for recording for the most part.

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ll stick to your idea Fish, whereby I’ll do everything directly via camera and ignore the settings on the NVR. That seems to so far be fixing some of my issues!

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ll stick to your idea Fish, whereby I’ll do everything directly via camera and ignore the settings on the NVR. That seems to so far be fixing some of my issues!
I don’t think that’s a good idea. The NVR has admin control over your cameras, and will always override the camera settings with its own settings. It’s best to manipulate as many settings possible on the NVR, and only adjust settings on the camera that can’t be done on the NVR

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Well that’s my experience in a dozen or so different Dahua NVR models.

The NVR will not magically change the settings on the camera if you don’t tell it to.
Obviously if you make setting changes on the NVR, it will in many cases also change the settings in the camera, but if you’ve been reading along, things don’t always synch. Particularly between newer and older equipment and firmware’s.

When I make setting changes in the camera directly, without manipulation on the NVR, the cameras hold the settings. I have 39 cameras on 4 NVRs I can touch right now which have held their settings through 2 different NVRs (original NVR swapped out for a newer one)

I routinely tweek settings on many of those cameras and I’ve yet to have one change by itself.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have had the exact opposite experience. (Hikvision) I’ve made changes in the camera that was later changed by the NVR

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahh HiK... could be theirs works as intended! ;)

Last edited: