NVR EXT Help

Mr.may23

n3wb
Reaction score
My NVR is in the main building. I want to add two IP camera's to the front and back of a 2nd building. Can I run a cat6 cable from the back of the NVR to the other building then use a POE switch and hook up the other two camera's? Will that work? Will it cause any problems? I don't want to have to run 2 cables at 200' ea just for the camera's. I already have to run 2 cables at 200' ( 1 for Wireless Access Point and 2nd for one of the cameras )

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Can I run a cat6 cable from the back of the NVR to the other building then use a POE switch and hook up the other two camera's? Will that work? Will it cause any problems?
Yes, but connect the PoE switch in the second building to the LAN that the NVR is on, not the NVR PoE port.
The NVR channels can be configured to connect to a camera on the LAN even if all of the channels are normally associated with NVR PoE ports.
Set the channel mode to Manual instead of Plug&Play, and configure it with the camera IP address on the LAN.

Mr.may23

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, but connect the PoE switch in the second building to the LAN that the NVR is on, not the NVR PoE port.
The NVR channels can be configured to connect to a camera on the LAN even if all of the channels are normally associated with NVR PoE ports.
Set the channel mode to Manual instead of Plug&Play, and configure it with the camera IP address on the LAN.
So I run a cable from the back of the NVR or back of the router? to the poe switch in the second building were I connect the other two cameras to the poe switch.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So I run a cable from the back of the NVR
not the NVR PoE port
No, best not the back of the NVR.
You could do this - but it's non-preferred. By default, only one camera will be accessible to the NVR.
Connect the PoE switch uplink cable to your LAN.
I'm assuming there is a switch on the LAN, to which the router is connected.
Pushing camera traffic through router LAN ports can bog some routers down.