NVR for display of cams (3-5MP) on TV (HDMI) - Aready have Milestone for recording.

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HI Guys,
I use Milestone in a Virtual Machine on my server to to reliably recording my 3MP and 5MP cams - am mix of ONVIF compliant cams HIK, Longsee, Axis and SMTSEC. These cams have fixed IP's on their own subnet.

I want a separate (low power, always on) device that I can use to display the cam live streams on my TV (over HDMI). I am considering a DS-7608N.
Can someone tell me :
1) I assume I can simply connect a (single) lan cable (on that same subnet) to one of the camera ports on the dvr? I assume it's just basically a poe swirtch - not dedicated separate ports.
2) The HIK's are genuine english firmware cams...Are the cams likely to work with the "hacked" firmware NVR?
3) I assume there is not a remote :) How would you suggest I change cam's that are displayed (in full screen) on the TV remotely.

Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: NVR for display of cams (3-5MP) on TV (HDMI) - Aready have Milestone for recordi

1) I assume I can simply connect a (single) lan cable (on that same subnet) to one of the camera ports on the dvr? I assume it's just basically a poe swirtch - not dedicated separate ports.
This implies an NVR with PoE ports. But your post implies that your cameras are connected to your LAN, on their own subnet.
Is it your intention to move the cameras to NVR PoE ports? This would, by default, place them on another separate subnet, not accessible to Milestone.
For a LAN-connected NVR with no PoE ports, just to view the cameras, you'd connect the NVR LAN port to the camera subnet on the LAN as just another device.

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Re: NVR for display of cams (3-5MP) on TV (HDMI) - Aready have Milestone for recordi

Tanks for the reply.

Intent is to leave thm on their existing switch ,and simply connect a port through from the existing switch to the NVR (poe port but it'll just run without PoE.)

ie.
Code:
cam <--> existing PoE switch <-+-> Xprotect
.                     |
.                     +--> NVR

Last edited by a moderator: