NVR for Small Office, this my best bet?

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just accepted pt position in a small office (100 employee's) as their IT and Facilities Manager. One of my several projects I'm pushing is cctv. On day 2. Lol

For now, at minimum the server room and main entryways. Later I can expand and grow. Currently there's nothing. Zeeeroooo!
We could grow to 200 employees by the end of 2023. We have about 30,000 sq ft and 10 entrances. So obviously I'll need 10 cameras just for doors.
The rest is a LOT of open space.
We have full access control so I don't really need face ID/tracking in the nvr. I can just match up our access control times and look up the time on the nvr if something were to happen.

I'm looking at this nvr. As much as I'd love to do a 32ch I wanted to keep the poe in-nvr and not utilize or add another poe to the rack but I guess I could.

I could probably be fine with the 24.

Was looking at this dahua nvr from andy. Im also assuming it doesn't come with any hdd. If there was a 32ch poe nvr Id be interested. But again, I guess I could just add an poe switch in the rack. we have 6 right now I think.

NVR5224-24P-4KS2

NVR.jpg

EDIT

I guess I could go with this 32ch nvr from andy and get a poe switch for the price...

NVR32.jpg

Thoughts

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not an NVR-guy (I use Blue Iris VMS on a PC) but it's my understanding that if, for example, you have a 24 channel POE NVR then you can not go beyond a total of 24 cams for that NVR even if you add a switch to the NVR's LAN and try to add cams that way. I believe it's because of bandwidth / decoding limitations of the NVR.

So, if you see an immediate need for 22 POE cams on a 24 channel POE NVR but think you may add 6 POE cams later, get the 32 channel POE NVR now.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not an NVR-guy (I use Blue Iris VMS on a PC) but it's my understanding that if, for example, you have a 24 channel POE NVR then you can not go beyond a total of 24 cams for that NVR even if you add a switch to the NVR's LAN and try to add cams that way. I believe it's because of bandwidth / decoding limitations of the NVR.

So, if you see an immediate need for 22 POE cams on a 24 channel POE NVR but think you may add 6 POE cams later, get the 32 channel POE NVR now.
Yeah I'd use bi but being in an office setting I think I'd rather use an nvr.

The 24 poe and 32 non poe have similar bandwidth limits but that should be fine.

Being in an office setting I could do 4mp at the doors zoomed in and the open areas 2.8 8mp. Zero night is needed because it's in an office setting fully lit.

But this post is about the nvr.
Wanting the best nvr under 1k

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd use bi but being in an office setting I think I'd rather use an nvr.

The 24 poe and 32 non poe have similar bandwidth limits but that should be fine.

Being in an office setting I could do 4mp at the doors zoomed in and the open areas 2.8 8mp. Zero night is needed because it's in an office setting fully lit.

But this post is about the nvr.
Wanting the best nvr under 1k
Why do you think an NVR is more proper for an office setting than a vms? In fact I would think a china made nvr would be worse. Some of the top vms's are run off on pc's for huge commercial installations. Avigilon, Exacq, Milestone.
If you want a vms that is geared towards commercial use with reasonable pricing, see DW ipvms - which is NXwitness rebranded for north american sales. Its about 80 bux per camera but you get lifetime free upgrades to new versions.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BI5 is good up to 64 cams right?

I have a older Dell 7050 with an I7 I could bring in and use dedicated for cctv. Just get a poe switch and then I would also have the flexibility to use just about any camera I want.

I'm sure they'd buy a machine but I'd rather put that money into cameras.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI5 is good up to 64 cams right?

I have a older Dell 7050 with an I7 I could bring in and use dedicated for cctv. Just get a poe switch and then I would also have the flexibility to use just about any camera I want.

I'm sure they'd buy a machine but I'd rather put that money into cameras.
Which I7, that term alone means nada.
See the wiki for more on what to purchase.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
...or power it up and look at "Control Panel"=> "System" since the CPU heatsink pretty much hides the CPU markings, right? :cool:
I still gotta put an ssd in and load windows.
I just bought it from a local government auction for $40. Lol will do asap though.
I bought a couple other 7050s but they had i5s in then which is still fine. Using one as my main desktop and the other will be a home BI5 build.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So since I got all the big heads in here and I don't want to make a new thread,
These are Indoor fully lit 24/7 office cameras. So, Light is not an issue.

That being said, the 2.8 cameras will be covering large general common areas.

For this reason, I want to know if there is a reason I should not go with the Amcrest 4k 2.8mm on those specific areas.
This:
Compared to Andy's 4mp 2.8mm fixed camera. I know andys is better for low light of course, but considering the light I'll have I could benifit from the larger mp.

Or, should I expect andys 4mp digitally zoomed in to an area to perform just as well as the amcrest 8mp.

Like i said, I understand under normal circumstances we would want andy all day. But if I can get a better resolution for a given common area that is say 80ft by 80ft
i need which will give me the best image hands down.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that digital zoom like we see in movies and TV are not reality. You can get some digital zoom, but not a lot.

Here was an interesting thread where the OP couldn't figure out why the 8MP was not much better than the 3MP - once you digital zoom, it goes pixelated fast

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So since I got all the big heads in here and I don't want to make a new thread,
These are Indoor fully lit 24/7 office cameras. So, Light is not an issue.

That being said, the 2.8 cameras will be covering large general common areas.

For this reason, I want to know if there is a reason I should not go with the Amcrest 4k 2.8mm on those specific areas.
This:
Compared to Andy's 4mp 2.8mm fixed camera. I know andys is better for low light of course, but considering the light I'll have I could benifit from the larger mp.

Or, should I expect andys 4mp digitally zoomed in to an area to perform just as well as the amcrest 8mp.

Like i said, I understand under normal circumstances we would want andy all day. But if I can get a better resolution for a given common area that is say 80ft by 80ft
i need which will give me the best image hands down.
In this particular scenario you will be better off with the 8 megapixel amcrest.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In this particular scenario you will be better off with the 8 megapixel amcrest.
Thank you, I will support Andy and still buy from him for where the scenario calls for it. But since there is no dark times in this commercial building I thought so.

Thank you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, I will support Andy and still buy from him for where the scenario calls for it. But since there is no dark times in this commercial building I thought so.

Thank you
One thing that just came to mind. Newer Dahua cameras have a second substream that can transmit at 1080p, this is useful if you want to record continuous at 1080 and bump up to 4k on motion. Not sure about the firmware on the lorex, but should be easy for you to find.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One thing that just came to mind. Newer Dahua cameras have a second substream that can transmit at 1080p, this is useful if you want to record continuous at 1080 and bump up to 4k on motion. Not sure about the firmware on the lorex, but should be easy for you to find.
Yeah for sure, Since I'll be using BI I want to utilize as much efficiency as possible. Although, I may be better off just creating a schedule and recording in 4k during business hours.
I guess that is definitely something I need to consider. So, with the sensor size difference the 8mp is still the better option of the two.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well... Since I'm not connected to the web, recording anything in the dark/night, not remote viewing etc... Why wouldn't I just get a Amcrest nvr?

Currently, I'm going to have to buy a $400 24port poe switch etc... When I could just install a 16ch poe nvr and be done. Its just a back up in case someone comes in and does something crazy.

Maybe im way over building this.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thoughts on if I go amcrest 4k cams should I just get an amcrest nvr and forget the rest since this is a basic system indoors. I'm just using their 2.8 and varifocal amcrest cams.
Would bi5 give me any benefits over the nvr that would make it worth it. Remember, it won't be networked at all. Fully isolated system. No remote viewing etc...