NVR / Hikvision 7616 and shutting it down before UPS loses battery power

archjeb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Folks,

Curious to what solution you are doing to shut down your NVRs gracefully when you have a loss of power.

I would like to script something so that on a small Raspberry PI I could shutdown the NVR before powering everything off.

Looking at the API all I see is rebooting is an option at the following path /ISAPI/System/reboot which works as expected when I test this. But I see no option to gracefully power down.

What all are you doing to solve remote shutdown (and remote power up control)?

As a hacky way of doing this, I'm thinking of just running a /ISAPI/System/reboot and when my pings stop responding, execute a web controlled power switch to shut power off to the NVR. That way, when power comes back, I can just use the web controlled power switch to power the NVR back up.

This makes the assumption that if my pings don't respond, then my drives are probably not mounted and I'm in the 'in-between' state of the NVR rebooting...and its a gamble of course...

Open for suggestions here. Wish there was an external contact to power down and power off that I could interface with or even like an ACPI like button that would handle the shutdown.

Thanks,

-J

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You dont need to gracefully shut it down. It will be just fine.

archjeb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So no concerns of corrupting the drive or filesystem? I guess I don't know what the filesystem is on these things to know if you need to worry or not.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Power loss is a normal thing. I assume it’s designed to handle that. Also, there’s no need to “power up” it is designed to automatically boot up and record when power is applied

archjeb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
But the manual states "Proper startup and shutdown procedures are crucial to expanding the life of the NVR. "

With most file systems it's not good to just pull the power cord. Usually a graceful shutdown is much preferred.