Nvr, Ip cams, Router and poe switch setup?

Shengli

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a question to how i setup the order of my POE setup

I will get the following.

1 x Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 NVR
8 x DH-IPC-HDW4436C-A 2560x1440 @ 25fps cams
1 x 16 port POE switch (have not decided for any yet) So if anybody have some great suggestions? :)
Already have an Asus RT-N56U Router

As i have never used POE before i am unsure what the order should be here.
My normal guess would be like this

Router - NVR - Poe switch - Cameras.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your cameras plug into your poe switch. Your poe switch and nvr plugs into router

Reaction score
You could connect the uplink port on the switch to any of the camera ports on the NVR, and the network port on the NVR to your router. Or if you want direct access to the cameras over the network, you can connect the switch to your router and connect the router to one of the camera ports on the NVR.

First config would look like this:
Router __ NVR __ Switch __ Cameras

Second looks like this:
Router __
NVR
L__Switch __Cameras

Either should work, but I don't have the equipment or experience to tell you whether it will work. Nothing should break, anyway. ;)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You could connect the uplink port on the switch to any of the camera ports on the NVR
There are no camera ports on the NVR, it's not a PoE model.
Or if you want direct access to the cameras over the network, you can connect the switch to your router and connect the router to one of the camera ports on the NVR.
In the OP's diagram - there is already direct access to the cameras from the LAN.
you can connect the switch to your router and connect the router to one of the camera ports on the NVR.
Either should work, but I don't have the equipment or experience to tell you whether it will work. Nothing should break, anyway.
If there were camera ports, and you connected this way, a network loop is possible, depending on the routing within the NVR. That would break things ...

Reaction score
There are no camera ports on the NVR, it's not a PoE model.
Oh, thought the non-PoE version still had ports for cameras.
In the OP's diagram - there is already direct access to the cameras from the LAN.
Yes, it's the same as my second configuration, though he doesn't specify how he connects the router to the NVR.
If there were camera ports, and you connected this way, a network loop is possible, depending on the routing within the NVR. That would break things ...
Ah, yeah, should probably connect the router to the port it normally connects to--the NVR should be able to find the cameras regardless, my bad. Would it break things though, or would things just not work properly?

...this is why I can't have nice things. :/