NVR Lockups

Raymond G

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a deployment of 5 NVRs with about 100 cameras. Everything works great with one small exception. Video recording and playback all works without issue.

When I configure image capture I start having problems. It works as intended for about 3 days then I will attempt to view cameras (could be any camera on NVR; not necessarily one doing image capture) and it will be sluggish to respond. Changing between cameras also sluggish. Rebooting the NVR clears the issue for a couple days then it will return. To be clear I'm configuring one camera for image capture; not all of them and I have the settings set down to 5s intervals in an attempt to keep the load down.

When I first discovered the issue it had been about a week since I configured image capture and the NVR had been losing regular recordings; almost as if the cameras were disconnecting or working over a congested network. Again rebooting cleared the issue but it returned.

All my NVRs are DS-7732NI-I4 / 16P V3.4.95 build 170626; I have one NVR (newest) that came with Ver 4.x firmware but i haven't attempted the configuration on that unit. All cameras are plugged directly into the POE switch that is built in and no other devices are using that network. All units have WD Purple 8 Tb drives.

If image capture is not enabled the cameras work flawlessly over long periods of time; weeks and months. Recently I tried re-enabling image capture and it failed again 3 days later.

Based on my years of guessing and clicking; it almost sounds like a memory leak type issue in the NVR. I find it hard to believe that a unit that can record 15 fps at 2k resolution from 16 cameras at the same time is tasked too hard by saving some 1/2 MP snapshots every 5 seconds.

So all that leading into these questions...

1. Has anyone else had this sort of issue?

2. Does anyone know a setting or work around that might prevent the problem from occuring so that I could use the feature

3. Should i just attempt to update the NVR to the version 4.x software and hope that the good of that version outweighs the bad in this version?

4. Does anyone think that offloading the image capture to an external FTP or other device would prevent the issue?

TIA

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Based on my years of guessing and clicking; it almost sounds like a memory leak type issue in the NVR. I find it hard to believe that a unit that can record 15 fps at 2k resolution from 16 cameras at the same time is tasked too hard by saving some 1/2 MP snapshots every 5 seconds.
I'd agree, it sounds like a bug as opposed to the straw that breaks etc

3. Should i just attempt to update the NVR to the version 4.x software and hope that the good of that version outweighs the bad in this version?
There are some minor updates before the major re-write that is 4.x - maybe worth trying, as the problem seems repeatable : DOWNLOAD PORTAL

Raymond G

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There are some minor updates before the major re-write that is 4.x - maybe worth trying, as the problem seems repeatable : DOWNLOAD PORTAL[/QUOTE]

Without leaning on your good will too much. I have one question about upgrading.

MY IVMS 4200 client shows four of my 5 NVRs as upgradeable. When I purchased them off ebay they were sold as 'original english-upgradeable'.

Trusting an ebay listing as basis for altering deployed and almost fully functional equipment seems like a stretch. Is there any way to determine (or reasonably predict) that a firmware update from the linked site is going to leave me with functional english based equipment?

I'm fairly well versed on the setup of these systems but I've yet to have to do a firmware update on them.

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
MY IVMS 4200 client shows four of my 5 NVRs as upgradeable. When I purchased them off ebay they were sold as 'original english-upgradeable'.

Trusting an ebay listing as basis for altering deployed and almost fully functional equipment seems like a stretch. Is there any way to determine (or reasonably predict) that a firmware update from the linked site is going to leave me with functional english based equipment?
Usually by the letters present in the serial number of the NVR.

EDIT: The link that alastairstevenson posted is the best link for upgrading ebay bought Hik's. It's the site I use.

Raymond G

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DS-7732NI-I4 / 16P1620170816CCRR81517****WCVU

Does that help any?

I've read about the letters in the middle of the SN having specific meaning. It seems to hold somewhat true as the one that I have that lists as non upgradeable has

"CCRRC" whereas the ones that are upgradeable have "CCRR" in the middle.

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Raymond G

DS-7608NI-I2 / 8P0820170807CCRR812*****WCVU

When I bought my NVR the ad stated English Version and fully upgrade-able.

I Have installed multiple versions over the last year+ currently running V.4.1.50

Raymond G

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Raymond G

DS-7608NI-I2 / 8P0820170807CCRR812*****WCVU

When I bought my NVR the ad stated English Version and fully upgrade-able.

I Have installed multiple versions over the last year+ currently running V.4.1.50
Thanks. I may chance it on one when I get my next batch in. Thanks for the info.