NVR Needed

wseaton

n3wb
Reaction score
Fenderman beat me to it. Those micro PC's that people think are a deal are actually a rip off considering you can get much better performing full fledged i3 or i5 desktop PCs now for less than that price, and they have several orders better performance. i7s are also starting to trickle down to the $400 range, and multi TB drives are also cheap. It's like buying generic branded food in a grocery store, but paying more money than premium brands.

Low end NAS devices are some of the biggest rip offs in the industry, and their only marketing logic is they come with embedded Linux which saves you some money licensing Microsoft CALs - that's it. You have to get into the several thousand dollar range before NAS machines start to pay off, and that's usually because there's higher end software or hardware features involved like de-dupe or SAN like features.

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The proper pc for an NVR depends on the VMS software you intend to run and the number of cameras...
regardless, that self built system is overpriced...you can pickup a dell optiplex micro with a haswell processor that is more powerful than that build (and has similar tdp) from the dell outlet for under 300 when they have a sale.
Even with no sale you can pick them up on ebay cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-3020-Micro-Intel-4th-Gen-Core-i3-4150T-4GB-RAM-500GB-HD-Win-8-1-/231605419111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ecc23c67
Is RAM more important for Blue Iris or CPU power?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Hoog23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok sure will say away from synology, the product looked like it would work.

anybody else tried with a d link 320 NAS? Would like to hear your thoughts.
I actually have a dlink 320 that I (used to) record motion events to via FTP from my dahua cams.

Then I got a cheap Eyesurv NVR ESDV-NVRMINI-16. My only issue is the damn loud fan but it sounds like that goes with the territory.

Unfortunately I think I may eventually need one that can handle more though-put and a 2nd drive.