NVR only picking up low res sub stream

Bigboboz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision NVR (DS-7616NI-I2 / 16P) with 4 cams currently, 2 of them display their main streams at their max resolutions fine (one is a Hik and the other a non-name cheapy) but the two Dahua's only show their sub streams as options at lower res's.

If I view them directly via their web interfaces, the pictures are perfect high res but in the NVR only the low res sub stream is an option (at a crappy bit rate).

If I use a custom protocol rather than ONVIF, I can get the high res feed but in the case of one of them that's a PTZ, I lose the PTZ capability!

Any suggestions? I've tried searching for solutions but I don't even know what to search for! The Dahua models are DH-SD22204T-GN and IPC-HDBW4431R-ZS if that matters.

Thanks,
Rob

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If I use a custom protocol rather than ONVIF, I can get the high res feed
Assuming the cameras are normally accessible to a PC, it might be worth seeing what ONVIF Device Manager (sourceforge.net) says about the video streams, and the decoder profiles.

Bigboboz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for recommending the software, very cool kit and fast!

When I click on the Hik camera and select the Live video or Video streaming options, I get the video stream and all the details but for the two Dahua's I just get 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'.

Mean anything to you?!

Thanks,
Rob

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
for the two Dahua's I just get 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'.
Just guessing a bit here ...
Maybe check a couple of things -
The logonID/password set correctly in ODM for the camera.
Does the camera firmware in the web GUI have a facility to enable/disable ONVIF and maybe specify an ONVIF-specific logonID / password?
Under Setup | Network | ONVIF
Also - just for checking what is the default profile - maybe turn off ONVIF authentication temporarily to check Live Video.

Bigboboz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The ODM software logs in fine and gets a lot of the initial stats ok in the top pane, it actually shows a preview of the video. So there's some form of communication but not from the lower panel section in the ODM software.

I saw in the Hik settings an option to enable/disable ONVIF but not in the Dahua (not that I can find anyway). There is an option for separate ONVIF users but acess doesn't seem to be the problem.

When you say turn off ONVIF authentication termporarily, do you mean the ONVIF user?

Bigboboz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I think I have it working at the full res but I'm not completely happy still. I dropped the codec back to H264H and had to turn SMART codec to on. I had tried H264 before but not whatever SMART codec is to on.

Thing is, the PVR can do H265 and I'd prefer to use the more efficient codec but the Dahua's obviously aren't doing this via ONVIF correctly. Should I ask in the Dahua camera section about H265 codec support in ONVIF?

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ONVIF support for H.265 was only finalized a few months ago. Do you have the latest firmware in your NVR?

Bigboboz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ahhh. I did update the NVR firmware recently but no idea if it included H.265 but sure it wouldn't be included that quickly? Plus, wouldn't the cameras need to be updated as well?

Bigboboz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One has an ONVIF Version of 2.42! Room for improvement there! The other 16.12 which is better but still not recent.

Will look for firmware updates, thanks for the link

Bigboboz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I searched for h.265 ONVIF support and release notes claim it was included since 2.6.1 in Dec 2015. My recent Dahua is 16.12...

Checked the release notes for the recently released HIK NVR firmware, states it supports H.265 new in that release but then the ONVIF protocol is only 2.5.0. Very old compliance...

Anyone getting H.265 to work with a Hik NVR?

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to say.

Onvif.org says that in June 2017 Profile T was a Release Candidate. I found this article from April 2017 which says:
"ONVIF is working on incorporating new formats such as H.265 into its Profiles. With the new ONVIF video profile that is currently being developed, Profile T, ONVIF will implement a new media service that is compression agnostic, meaning it will support new video compression formats, including H.265, and new audio compression formats."
ONVIF and the push to H.265

Let's hope that a member with more mixed vendor experience will step in with more specific advice.

Last edited:

Bigboboz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Using h.265 to increase recording history is why I switched from a 7816N-E2/8P to a 7616NI-K2 NVR for the continuous recording.
It explicitly supports h.265
I've got the Hikvision DS-7616NI-I2 / 16P which explicitly supports H.265. Are you using non-Hik cameras?

Bigboboz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok after some failed firmware upgrades on the cameras, the recent camera is not working using H.265. Perhaps it just needed a couple of reboots...

Now to try the older one. Thanks for the help.
Rob