NVR only record 20 days, with 40 days+ worth of storage

Cold Cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I got my first Empiretech NVR in january, NV41AI-8P-4K, and put a new 4TB WD purple in it. Only have 2 cameras on it currently. According to my camera settings, and storage calculators, I would get well over 40 days of video. And when I checked the NVR about 20 days in, I noticed HDD had about 1.7 TB of free space left, so all good I thought, well, except for the fact I never got/get more than 20 days of video :idk: I also confirmed that it took over 40 days before the HDD actually was full, and started to overwrite, so what's going on here? Has this something to do with not enabling disk quota? Also, have not found any delete after X days setting.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
From your description, it sounds like you have 40 days worth of recordings (before the first recordings get over writting), but only 20 days worth of videos showing on the GUI. In other words, the system is only showing 20 days worth of video, but you actually have 40 days of recordings on the hard drive. If this is the case, it isn't a "delete after X day" setting you should be looking for, it is a GUI display setting. Perhaps it is being limited to just 20 days and can be increased to show all the recordings.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I got my first Empiretech NVR in january, NV41AI-8P-4K, and put a new 4TB WD purple in it. Only have 2 cameras on it currently. According to my camera settings, and storage calculators, I would get well over 40 days of video. And when I checked the NVR about 20 days in, I noticed HDD had about 1.7 TB of free space left, so all good I thought, well, except for the fact I never got/get more than 20 days of video :idk: I also confirmed that it took over 40 days before the HDD actually was full, and started to overwrite, so what's going on here? Has this something to do with not enabling disk quota? Also, have not found any delete after X days setting.
Hi @Cold Cam

Feel free to share screen shots of the issue to help others understand what you are seeing ..

Cold Cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

From your description, it sounds like you have 40 days worth of recordings (before the first recordings get over writting), but only 20 days worth of videos showing on the GUI. In other words, the system is only showing 20 days worth of video, but you actually have 40 days of recordings on the hard drive. If this is the case, it isn't a "delete after X day" setting you should be looking for, it is a GUI display setting. Perhaps it is being limited to just 20 days and can be increased to show all the recordings.
Good point! I have been using SmartPSS, but I just checked the NVR interface but it showed exactly the same. Also, I have not been very deep in the settings, most is default so I find it very unlikely there should be a 20 day limit anywhere. If it was a full month it would made a little more sense, but I'm gonna ask Andy if he know.
I guess I could also reduce bitrate or only record substream for some days and see if that change anything.

Feel free to share screen shots of the issue to help others understand what you are seeing ..
Anything specific? setting page etc? As of right now, I'm only seeing recording 20 days back that consistently get overwritten as normal, but there should be room for a lot more the disk.