NVR or server solution for mostly axis

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Client is taking over a building with mostly axis cameras, a few sony and scallop. 75 cameras total. I am looking for a nvr/server solution. I can supply the server if need be but software would be recommended. Money is an issue.
Thanks

Reaction score
I agree, you're probably better off using Axis camera station. With 75 cameras I would suggest using two or more servers to spread to it out. The cameras resolution, bitrate and FPS are important when deciding which hardware to purchase for the servers.

Before making any purchases, I would check the model number of the Axis and other cameras to confirm they're compatible with Axis Camera station.

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you think the numbers make sense ? The cameras they have -16 with res 480, 30 with res 720, 21 with res 960 , and the rest are 240. I can get new cameras with an nvr with about the cost of licensing. The maintenance guys sit around so screwing in the new ones would just be utilizing the labor that they are already paying for. There would be some cost of programming but they would have much newer cameras.

Reaction score
Do you think the numbers make sense ? The cameras they have -16 with res 480, 30 with res 720, 21 with res 960 , and the rest are 240. I can get new cameras with an nvr with about the cost of licensing. The maintenance guys sit around so screwing in the new ones would just be utilizing the labor that they are already paying for. There would be some cost of programming but they would have much newer cameras.
Those are some pretty low resolution cameras. What are some of the model numbers of the cameras? Do you know how old they are?

You're not really giving us a lot of information to work with. What are the intended purpose for the cameras? Will someone be watching the live stream constantly? Do they need integration with a POS system, access control system etc.?

74 cameras is a lot and will consume a considerable amount of bandwidth. You can't just go out and buy any cheap NVR and slap it in there and hope it'll work. You need to plan and design system taking into account resolution, bandwidth consumption, storage requirements, network topology etc.

This is a large system and you should really be using an enterprise grade solution like Axis Camera station, Milestone Xprotect, Digital Watchdog Spectrum IPVMS etc.

You mentioned money is an issue. How big of a budget do you have?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are that cameras analog (coax cable) or IP (ethernet cable)?
If analog - You need compatible DVR (analog NVR)..
If IP - you can use any VMS, which supports that cameras...

Best solution is to change that system to something modern. In case of Axis - the main (not small!) cost will be cameras (and software licenses if You want advanced AI features plus software license to selected VMS). Installing/configuring are cheapest part. Especially when the ethernet cables are in place.

They are cheaper solutions from Chinese companies (Dahua, HIK etc) - but depending of country and business type can be limitations (like NDAA requirements in USA).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
These all belong in a trashcan