NVR POE Switch Address Range

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi there,

i was just wondering if it would be possible to do change the NVR's POE Switch Network Address range to match those of my routers and then connect a cable from a port on the NVR switch directly to the router (Not the NVR LAN port). Basically treating the NVR POE switch as if it was a separate switch. The main reason why I was thinking of something like this is because I want to be able to access my cameras using the web interface as some features are missing from the NVR and it's not convenient for me to run a cable from the NVR to my laptop.

thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If your (unspecified) NVR is a Hikvision NVR, you simply need to enable the 'Virtual Host' facility to be able to access NVR PoE port connected cameras web GUI directly with no extra configuration or wiring. Under Configuration | Network | Advanced Settings | Other
You will see the result in the NATed link in the right hand column of Camera Configuration in the NVR web GUI.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If your (unspecified) NVR is a Hikvision NVR, you simply need to enable the 'Virtual Host' facility to be able to access NVR PoE port connected cameras web GUI directly with no extra configuration or wiring. Under Configuration | Network | Advanced Settings | Other
You will see the result in the NATed link in the right hand column of Camera Configuration in the NVR web GUI.
Whoops, should have mentioned it's a Dahua NVR, do you know if Dahua NVR's have a similar virtual host feature? Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
do you know if Dahua NVR's have a similar virtual host feature?
I'm sorry, I do not know. But I've not seen it mentioned, so I suppose not. It's a useful feature.
Do you have access to a telnet shell on the NVR?
If so - what does the result of
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
show?

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I do not know. But I've not seen it mentioned, so I suppose not. It's a useful feature.
Do you have access to a telnet shell on the NVR?
If so - what does the result of
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
show?
Hi, not sure exactly what telnet shell is but I've attached a screenshot of the network section on the NVR if that is useful

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
not sure exactly what telnet shell is
We'd best not go there then.
There may have been a way to activate the Linux kernel facility to forward network packets between the PoE interface and the LAN interface.
Which might then, with a couple more network tweaks, allow direct access to NVR PoE-connected cameras from the LAN.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We'd best not go there then.
There may have been a way to activate the Linux kernel facility to forward network packets between the PoE interface and the LAN interface.
Which might then, with a couple more network tweaks, allow direct access to NVR PoE-connected cameras from the LAN.
Haha this sounds really complicated. Would it not work the way I mentioned in the first post (by connecting a cable from the Poe ports to the router)

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On my 5216, the switch address CANNOT be on the same subnet as the network interface. Period. No routing is possible.