NVR questions from NOOB

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there. Haven't posted in a while. I have a relative that dragged me into his "project" of installing 7 IP camera's on his exterior. I use BI but for him that's not an option. He's looking at the Hikvision 8 channel NVR sold on ebay. He plans on using 7 channels of 1080p cams. So I told him I'd research the viability of using an NVR in his situation. So I begin with some basic questions:

Answered- 1) Ignoring the POE, can an NVR be used as a router? Reason I'm asking? There's currently 5-cams in front of his house that are routed to a switch and the switch output (one ethernet cable) to another room 30 feet away where his router resides. This is where he wishes to install the NVR.

Answered- 2) Does the typical NVR provide access to camera controls for triggering, sensitivity, etc? Or does the NVR control these settings inteself? How about PTZ?

3) Do most NVR's come with apps to access the nvr realtime via phone, ipad or computer? Aftermarket app recommendations?

Answered- 4) this is more of a question regarding my system, of which I currently use BI, but would like to know nonetheless. Is it seamless and smooth to integrate and setup multiple cams of differing brands? My system has a mix of cams.

Thanks for the answers in advance,
Bob T.

Last edited:

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone care to take a crack at this?
3) Do most NVR's come with apps to access the nvr realtime via phone, ipad or computer?
Aftermarket app recommendations? Most people want to view events that have triggered the system....
We plan on using a Hikvision 7600 series NVR.

Thanks again in advance...
Bob T.

cage771

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone care to take a crack at this?
3) Do most NVR's come with apps to access the nvr realtime via phone, ipad or computer?
Aftermarket app recommendations? Most people want to view events that have triggered the system....
We plan on using a Hikvision 7600 series NVR.

Thanks again in advance...
Bob T.
Bob - any decent NVR or VMS has a client app for use on a LAN. For remote WAN access, most have the ability to do so via an app. Just read the specs on whatever you're looking at (the NVR you mentioned supports this). No need for a third party app.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there. Haven't posted in a while. I have a relative that dragged me into his "project" of installing 7 IP camera's on his exterior. I use BI but for him that's not an option. He's looking at the Hikvision 8 channel NVR sold on ebay. He plans on using 7 channels of 1080p cams. So I told him I'd research the viability of using an NVR in his situation. So I begin with some basic questions:

Answered- 1) Ignoring the POE, can an NVR be used as a router? Reason I'm asking? There's currently 5-cams in front of his house that are routed to a switch and the switch output (one ethernet cable) to another room 30 feet away where his router resides. This is where he wishes to install the NVR.

Answered- 2) Does the typical NVR provide access to camera controls for triggering, sensitivity, etc? Or does the NVR control these settings inteself? How about PTZ?

3) Do most NVR's come with apps to access the nvr realtime via phone, ipad or computer? Aftermarket app recommendations?

Answered- 4) this is more of a question regarding my system, of which I currently use BI, but would like to know nonetheless. Is it seamless and smooth to integrate and setup multiple cams of differing brands? My system has a mix of cams.

Thanks for the answers in advance,
Bob T.
Be sure to purchase from a place with a return policy. That way it will be an easy return when you see how crappy it is compared to BI. Blue iris is always an option and requires no more effort.

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
never mind, I found your wiki page links in another thread.....

Be sure to purchase from a place with a return policy. That way it will be an easy return when you see how crappy it is compared to BI. Blue iris is always an option and requires no more effort.
I have Bi on my system but this is not my call but i might be able to persuade him to find a P.C. to do the job.

Let me ask this: If he did use a P.C. running BI 24/7 what kind of speed/ processor would be needed to view 8 cameras, 2mp~3mp each?

I know that my P.C. loads down with BI running. It takes about 30% of cpu time and 1.5 gig of ram for my seven cams. I have a laptop that's 2.4 ghz, dual core i7-5500 CPU and 12 gig ram. When I'm doing CAD work in Fusion 360 I sometimes need to shut down BI or risk the CAD program locking up on me.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
never mind, I found your wiki page links in another thread.....

I have Bi on my system but this is not my call but i might be able to persuade him to find a P.C. to do the job.

Let me ask this: If he did use a P.C. running BI 24/7 what kind of speed/ processor would be needed to view 8 cameras, 2mp~3mp each?

I know that my P.C. loads down with BI running. It takes about 30% of cpu time and 1.5 gig of ram for my seven cams. I have a laptop that's 2.4 ghz, dual core i7-5500 CPU and 12 gig ram. When I'm doing CAD work in Fusion 360 I sometimes need to shut down BI or risk the CAD program locking up on me.
A 100 dollar i5-3570. I would spring for a much newer i5-6500 elitedesk/prodesk for about 180-200.
You should be using a dedicated pc as well. Your laptop i7 is weaker than a modern i3.

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're reading my mind. I just bought this a couple hours ago based on your wiki pages:
link

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can do better than that 250 is a high for a system that old.
Maybe, I didn't spend a lot of time looking. It'll do given I already bought it:facepalm:. The last couple PC's I bought on Craigslist for my CNC machines were far less but this time I didn't want to hassle driving around to look at mostly junk hoping to get that one usable machine....There were others for less on ebay but without operating systems.