NVR Recommendations ... Dahau, Hikvison, VIP, other

matthyne

n3wb
Reaction score
I have recently installed a single test Hikvision camera. Works well but now I need to extend the system with a NVR and more cameras.

I would like some help with what I should be selecting.

A friend suggested looking at options other than Hikvision as I don't need a HIK NVR to work with their cameras (ie they are more expensive than other ones on ebay). I also want to be able to use other non-HIK cameras (just need a couple of cheap ones for the shed) so I need a system i can connect other IP cameras too.

I need to be able to view the system remotely (both inside the house and outside).

It was also suggested I stay away from NVRs with internal PoE ports. I already have an external PoE switch on my LAN network. Are there NVRs that support IP cameras without PoE ports ? Can I connect IP cameras to the NVR on the wan side of the network (Ie same subnet as the rest of my house).

Looking for suggestions of what my best options are.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a DS-7604 from Hikvision, I got it because it does NOT have PoE ports, that way I can put the NVR anywhere I like on my network, I then use PoE on a switch that is static.

A NVR is simple and for most people enough, BUT if you want to really use the power of cameras, then take the time to research Blue Iris (BI) and see the power that provides.