NVR Recommendations to replace a large scale Unifi-Video deployment (Ubiquiti)

Reaction score
Looking for some recommendations since Ubiquiti has pulled the plug on the Unifi-Video NVR and are going with internal hardware UNVR's that can't scale (at least, not yet) easily.

We're looking at preferably self hosting on our own hardware. And I know we're going to have to have multiple NVR's to accommodate our size, but hoping for a single portal to log in to view recordings. Started looking at BlueIris, but not sure its our best option?

250 Camera's (1080P) (Mainly Ubiquiti G3's). Since their Ubiquiti, we'll have to record the RTSP stream(s) from them. We're not going to be approved to replace them.
2xDell R620 Server's with dual Xeon E5-2620's at 2.0Ghz. (in a VMWare environment)
384Gb of RAM on each server.
Synology RS3618xs array with 12x8Tb drives on Raid 10. Setting aside 20Tb for video storage (array isn't used for anything else at this time).
1Gb/s NIC's

We've been using an Ubuntu Setup with Unifi-Video writing via ISCSI to the NAS.
We record all "motion" video at their "Medium" setting of 1024x576. There's a handful of 'low' resolution ones also, but we'll stick with the high side for safety sake. And keep 14 days of history (really, we keep more like 21 with this setup, but we advertise to the powers that be we get 14 as a safety net). Based on my calculations, that should put us right around 1,000Mp/s for 50 cams (so each NVR VM) at roughly 15 frames/sec.

A couple people will access the recordings frequently.
We also stream the RTSP feeds to several RaspberryPi's using the DisplayCamera's application for video security wall(s).

Is this too much for BlueIris to handle (obviously, we'd need 5+ VM's setup for it)? If it can, what specs should each VM/NVR be? Other suggestions?

We'd like to utilize our existing hardware if possible, but realize we may need to spend some $ for various things. We'd like to stay within a 5k budget if its necessary.

thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

VideoQ

n3wb
Reaction score
To my knowledge Ubiquiti cameras can only be used on their NVR/Unifi-Video. They are not ONVIF compliant.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
To my knowledge Ubiquiti cameras can only be used on their NVR/Unifi-Video. They are not ONVIF compliant.
They are not onvif, but they support rtsp which is all a vms that does its own motion detection needs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You should look at nxwitness sold as dw ipvms in north america.