NVR robbing network speed?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Comcast came out this morning and replaced the exterior line to my house. Problem solved.
Wow, I have been lurking on this, I,m pretty seasoned in networking and I'm still trying trying to get my head around how the NVR played into this, That being said, a bad service line causing a bottleneck getting out, that makes perfect sense since the issue started with the new modem.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
OpenVPN is the most widely suggested way of secure remote video access for our applications.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Meh, not worried about that. Hackers can watch me come and go from my home all day if they’d like.
The common criminal use electronic tools. They can hack your wifi, your cameras, etc..
I really do not understand your point that it is okay. When you get robbed, make sure you tell the detective that you invited the criminals into your home.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad you got it worked out. Most of us knew the NVR couldn't be the issue. If you ever encounter separate wireless problems you should apply some of the tips I gave you in the earlier post.

Meh, not worried about that. Hackers can watch me come and go from my home all day if they’d like.
It not about hackers watching you. Hackers couldn't care less about watching you. Its about turning your device into a bot and adding them to giant botnets.

The secondary effect is as @fenderman says. You don't have those cameras segmented on vlans or separate subnets so if a camera gets hacked your whole network is exposed.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alright, guys - rather than bash me for not following IoT security - someone help me to setup this openVPN - never done it before... would like to learn.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You will need a router that supports it. I doubt the Comcast one will have it built it. Others may chime in on the best router to use as I don't run my VPN that way. Other than that, you would have to have a Raspberry Pi (or something similar) inside your network that could run Wireguard or OpenVPN. I'd suggest running it from the router if you aren't entirely computer literate. It will be far easier to configure.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will need a router that supports it. I doubt the Comcast one will have it built it. Others may chime in on the best router to use as I don't run my VPN that way. Other than that, you would have to have a Raspberry Pi (or something similar) inside your network that could run Wireguard or OpenVPN. I'd suggest running it from the router if you aren't entirely computer literate. It will be far easier to configure.
I have a Ubiquiti network.. I see some settings in the Ubiquiti controller for a VPN.

I'd really like to setup a raspberry pi that can control my Dahua sunrise/sunset calculator.. But I don't have a clue how to go about it.

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Glad you got it al sorted! What im curious about is do you get 1 gbps speed now? Because in your first post you said you only reached 200 ~ 400. Which to me is a problem in itself.

For running OpenVPN on a pi you can look into PiVPN, an easy to install script for OpenVPN.
You should also look into PiHole!

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad you got it al sorted! What im curious about is do you get 1 gbps speed now? Because in your first post you said you only reached 200 ~ 400. Which to me is a problem in itself.

For running OpenVPN on a pi you can look into PiVPN, an easy to install script for OpenVPN.
You should also look into PiHole!
I have not tested the back of my modem yet via hardwire - but my iphone is testing 400MBPS-ish. Which I believe is the highest speed that an iphone can achieve. so I would imagine so.

Currently watching the video.

I feel like ubiquiti has a built in VPN I can use instead of this raspberry pi? That may be more simple?