NVR RTSP video format

rickwookie

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to add a couple of RTSP streams as cameras to our Hikvision NVR, but although I can successfully get the streams to show up as online in the camera management section of the NVR settings, I can't get video to show in the web browser, iVMS-4200 windows client or on the iPhone iVMS-4500 app.

I've tried encoding the RTSP video as h264 and MJPEG, but neither seems to work.

What's the correct stream format for video that Hikvision will recognise?

rickwookie

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, using Custom protocol.

Protocol = RTSP (the only choice, if HTTP were supported life would be much simpler!)
Transfer Protocol = Automatic or UDP (RTP over RTSP won't work)
Port = 554
Path = Cam0 (the path I created with my streamer)

VLC plays the RTSP stream with pretty much any encoding settings I try. But nothing I try gives me an image on the NVR.

I'm using VLC command line on a headless server to generate the RTSP streams.

rickwookie

n3wb
Reaction score
Well that's interesting, I did originally, but then removed it since the example I found in a manual (http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2015060816102489271.pdf - page 50) shows the path example without the leading slash.

Either way though (with or without the slash) the Status shows as Online and there's no video shown, whereas if I actually change the path to something else, I get a Status of 'Offline (IP camera exception)'.

There's no authentication for the stream since I haven't worked out how to add authentication using vlc (not sure it's possible).

The 'Online' Status would indicate that a successful connection is being made, but that the video format is somehow incompatible.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what resolution is the incoming stream? is it higher than your NVR is capable of?

rickwookie

n3wb
Reaction score
It's requested from the camera at 1280x720, but it's actually 1280x480 (panoramic) since it's a fisheye camera.
Specifically a VLC client identifies the stream as:
Stream 0
Type: Video
Codec: Motion JPEG Video (MJPG)
Resolution: 1280x480
Display Resolution: 1280x480
Decoded Format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV Full Scale

The NVR is a DS-9632NI-I8. It's happily handling 3 4k Hikvision cams, plus 5 old ACTi cams.

jwp

n3wb
Reaction score
It's requested from the camera at 1280x720, but it's actually 1280x480 (panoramic) since it's a fisheye camera.
Specifically a VLC client identifies the stream as:
Stream 0
Type: Video
Codec: Motion JPEG Video (MJPG)
Resolution: 1280x480
Display Resolution: 1280x480
Decoded Format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV Full Scale

The NVR is a DS-9632NI-I8. It's happily handling 3 4k Hikvision cams, plus 5 old ACTi cams.
I know this is old, but I am having the same issue. RTSP cam shows online, but video won't display in live view.

Did you ever figure out a solution?