NVR run 3rd party Software?

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got a Hikvision DS-7604NI-SE/P and a couple of cameras coming and I was wondering what to do if I wanted to use another program (BI,Xprotect,etc) to view the cameras. Can I access the cameras through another program via the NVR so I can still use the NVR? Or are there other alternatives. I'm still trying out different software,so I'm not sure what I will wind up using. Let me know. Thanks

dr.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, but you will be opening up security holes (IMHO) to view each cam. iVMS-4200 is software made by hikvision that allows you to view all cameras through the NVR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think OP just wants to use the NVR in conjunction with say Blue Iris at the same location. There would only have to be one more port open for blue iris not for each camera. op can close the NVR port so there is no security risk increase at all.

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think OP just wants to use the NVR in conjunction with say Blue Iris at the same location. There would only have to be one more port open for blue iris not for each camera. op can close the NVR port so there is no security risk increase at all.
Yes, same location.
I wasn't sure since the NVR was Hikvision if I could actually use another program instead of theirs. That way I can still use the NVR for recording purposes. So, it can be done safely?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it can, easiest way would be to use a separate poe switch vs the poe on NVR. But you can easily use both, in fact many use an nvr as a backup hidden somewhere...

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, good. Any diagrams or info on how I would hook things up? I'm assuming using the separate Poe switch to connect the cameras? I would probably be okay with the NVR software, but I like the look/feel of Blue Iris also.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is possible to have all cameras connected to the NVR and also be able to access the cameras through the NVR with any software locally or even through the WAN and at the same time the NVR is also recording. The requirement is to have the NVR firmware 2.3.9. I have documented in this forum how it is done. You do not need any additional external PoE switch for the cameras. Search for my posts.

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I apologize in advance,but I don't see anything referring as to what I want to do regarding the firmware. I see port forwarding,remote viewing,etc.

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok. The NVR should be here soon. So do I need an external poe injector or can I just use the poe on the NVR? I'm a little confused since BI is said to require an I5 or i7 to work properly. Will the NVR be able to use BI? Thanks

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BlueIris runs on personal computers running windows.

NVR systems will run their own brand's firmware.

Cameras can be plugged directly into the nvr, if it has power over internet. Unless you have something more proprietary that requires a specific injector.