NVR Software for Mac

drlovety

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello! I'm helping family setup a baby cam and was wondering if anyone recommended software, like BI, but for a Mac. I saw Evo Logical, has anyone used it? I'll be using a Foscam and would like a server environment so that they can stream video to their smartphones. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Ty

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try Sighthound, has cool advanced analytics for people tracking. Also, there's SecuritySpy - http://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/ It's a tough market as most people dedicate a PC for this purpose and you can get a Windows purpose built server for a lot less than say a Mac Pro. Let us know how it works out.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This doesn't answer the software question, but, if it is just to be a single baby camera / monitor, it can run its own server without needing to dedicate a computer 24/7. If need be, setup motion recording on the foscam to internal sd card. Setup port forwarding on the internet router to the camera. Install app on the mobiles pointing to wan ip with port forwarding. Done.

I've got one ptz foscam setup that way. Keeps it simple.

Ps: the foscam viewer app, supports 4 cameras, but each time you launch it, you need to tap the camera in the list, for it to cinnect, then you get the live view

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There are so many well-known security exploits for Foscam cameras that I'd be very cautious about port forwarding to one. Maybe they've been fixed in firmware updates, but I wouldn't count on it.

For remote viewing without exposing the camera directly, you could try the camera proxy app in my signature, but it is most definitely not plug-and-play. You're probably better off with a commercial mac app like has been mentioned above, as long as it has a mobile app for remote access.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, kinda, seems like it is not limited to foscam either. Some bigger brands with the same issues.

The first thing I did when I got the foscam was update the firmware etc step by incrimental step. Was kind of confusing process at first because of how foscam explains it kind of poorly. Guess I will have to make sure that fixes it, because I do like the idea of tapping directly as a backup.

ipcctv4me

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello! I'm helping family setup a baby cam and was wondering if anyone recommended software, like BI, but for a Mac. I saw Evo Logical, has anyone used it? I'll be using a Foscam and would like a server environment so that they can stream video to their smartphones. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Ty
Hi, have you tried Xanview? (www.xanview.com) Their system was built by a team of Mac enthusiasts. It's also very user friendly and easy to install.