NVR Swap 4xxx to 5xxx, No Cameras on List

JordanZ

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 5xxx NVR from Andy to replace the 4xxx that I have been using forever. It has 8POE ports on the back, same as my 4xxx, but this one can handle 32 channels (I have some random IP cameras too and ran out of channels on my 4xxx). I have the new 5xxx setup on my network, can access it via computer, and have my 6 POE cameras plugged into the POE ports on the back. None of the POE cameras are showing in the camera list on the new 5xxx though, only two IP network cameras I have. The POE screen shows the cameras are being supplied power. I was hoping it would just be a plug and play swap from my 4xxx to the 5xxx but clearly not the case. The port numbers are still 37777. Can anyone help troubleshoot?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you plug them all in at same time or one by one?

When you originally set up the 4XXX did you simply do plug in play or were you assigning IP addresses manually to the cameras?

Follow this guide:

JordanZ

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you plug them all in at same time or one by one?

When you originally set up the 4XXX did you simply do plug in play or were you assigning IP addresses manually to the cameras?
Today I plugged them all in and then turned on the NVR. On the 4xxx, I didn't do anything manually, it just recognized them as "Port 1", "Port 2" etc

JordanZ

n3wb
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 3.04.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-09 at 3.04.04 PM.png
As I plug them in it shows they are connected and consuming power, just nothing shows up on the camera management screen

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say factory reset the NVR and the cameras and follow the guide I linked.

Between plugging them all in at same time and then turning on, and/or maybe the last NVR assigned static IP addresses to the cameras, you either have IP address conflicts or the cameras are on an IP address range the NVR isn't recognizing.

Factory reset and following the guide should get you going.

JordanZ

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd say factory reset the NVR and the cameras and follow the guide I linked.

Between plugging them all in at same time and then turning on, and/or maybe the last NVR assigned static IP addresses to the cameras, you either have IP address conflicts or the cameras are on an IP address range the NVR isn't recognizing.

Factory reset and following the guide should get you going.
I tried that earlier with no success, been troubleshooting since this afternoon. The internal 5xxx POE switch is set to 10.1.1.1 / 255.255.255.0 / 10.1.1.1, which is the exact same setting as my 4xxx switch was. The cameras should connect without issue. I am wondering if there is a problem with the POE board in the unit Andy sent me, which was a refurb.

JordanZ

n3wb
Reaction score
Connecting a laptop directly to the POE port I can't even get it assigned an IP address in the 10.1.1 range

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have a POE switch or POE injector you can try a camera with and a laptop and take the NVR out of the equation?

Hooking a laptop to the POE port of the NVR won't work.

Have you tried a factory reset of a camera to see if it works?

Did you factory reset the NVR in the event the previous owner set it up?

JordanZ

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have a POE switch or POE injector you can try a camera with and a laptop and take the NVR out of the equation?

Hooking a laptop to the POE port of the NVR won't work.

Have you tried a factory reset of a camera to see if it works?

Did you factory reset the NVR in the event the previous owner set it up?
The cameras all worked fine on my 4xxx POE NVR, the issue is with this 5xxx NVR. I have previously been able to hookup a laptop to the POE port to connect and get a DHCP assignment to the 10.1.1.x range from the internal switch on the NVR, and subsequently access a camera with an IP in that range (I have one camera that refuses to get assigned a "PORT" so I can't connect to it with 192.168.1.7:1008x like the other cameras).

I tried a new out of box camera with no luck. I factory reset the 5xxx NVR twice now with no luck.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that seems to be looking like an issue with the NVR. A factory reset and new camera should have worked for sure.

JordanZ

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah that seems to be looking like an issue with the NVR. A factory reset and new camera should have worked for sure.
What current firmware should a NVR5232-8P-4KS2E be running?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll have to do a manual device search from the camera tab menus.....
I have a 4 series Amcrest,,,,hopefully you have a menu that looks like this ....in the 5 series....

1670635288736.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Select one of the found devices and do a Manual Add so that you can input the old Nvr's passowrd, Or sometimes the new NVR will offer to change the found device to the Admin Password of the new device provided you havent fiddle fucked around and changed them already.

1670635386845.png

JordanZ

n3wb
Reaction score
Select one of the found devices and do a Manual Add so that you can input the old Nvr's passowrd, Or sometimes the new NVR will offer to change the found device to the Admin Password of the new device provided you havent fiddle fucked around and changed them already.

View attachment 147782
Unfortunately there aren't any of the POE cameras showing, only my two wireless IP cameras. It's like the NVR switch isn't even assigning them IP addresses

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
if the devices are all pluged in now....try a reboot and then a conduct a new device search...

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Might be the Power over ethernet is bad.....hmmm...can you try powering them on a poe switch, and see if they are recognized as remote devices? then you could say the POE is bad in the NVR