NVR unable to stream 15fps videos to BI server

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Q-See NVR with four 1.3MP cameras connected to it. I also have a BI server running on a i7 machine. The NVR is connected to the BI server via a gigibit switch.

Here is the problem: The NVR is having trouble streaming 15fps videos to the BI server. I get dropped frames at 15fps. If I change it to 10fps everything is fine. Now I know that the NVR only has a 100Mbps port and the BI has a gigabit port.

At 15fps, each of my camera streams at around 6mbps (so four cameras would be about 24mbps). At 10fps each streams at about 4mbps (total about 14mbps).

Do you think the bottleneck is at the NVR, or is there anything else I can do to my network so it can support 15fps streaming?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your nvr is chocking on the streaming...simple solution is to use a POE switch and stream the camera direct to the blue iris pc and nvr..

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your nvr is chocking on the streaming...simple solution is to use a POE switch and stream the camera direct to the blue iris pc and nvr..
So I should just get a POE switch and record using BI and forget about the NVR that came with the cameras?

Is there a POE switch you recommend?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I should just get a POE switch and record using BI and forget about the NVR that came with the cameras?

Is there a POE switch you recommend?
You can use both...this way the cameras will stream direct to blue iris and the nvr...you can hide the nvr somewhere on you network as a backup if you wish..
For 4 cams, this is a cheap and perfect solution http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-8-Port-Ethernet-Desktop-TL-SF1008P/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1461793870&sr=1-4&keywords=poe+switch

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can use both...this way the cameras will stream direct to blue iris and the nvr...you can hide the nvr somewhere on you network as a backup if you wish..
For 4 cams, this is a cheap and perfect solution http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-8-Port-Ethernet-Desktop-TL-SF1008P/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1461793870&sr=1-4&keywords=poe+switch
Do I then just plug the 4 cameras into the POE ports, and then plug the BI server and NVR into one of the non-POE ports?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do I then just plug the 4 cameras into the POE ports, and then plug the BI server and NVR into one of the non-POE ports?
Yes...though if you really wish you can plug the BI server and nvr into any other network connection you have (router, other switch)..but its optimal when connected to the same switch as the camera...

chriscat7

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently purchased the Q-see16 port NVR ( w/ 8 4mp cams) from Costco, is there anyway to take advantage of the built in Poe ports on the NVR if I wish to use BI also or do I have to bypass them completely and use a switch? Thanks.

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recently purchased the Q-see16 port NVR ( w/ 8 4mp cams) from Costco, is there anyway to take advantage of the built in Poe ports on the NVR if I wish to use BI also or do I have to bypass them completely and use a switch? Thanks.
I record using both the Q-See NVR and BI. You seem to have a newer NVR so it might have a gigibit port and might not run into the framerate issues I'm having. I can post my settings if you need help connecting to your Q-See NVR from BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

chriscat7

n3wb
Reaction score
I record using both the Q-See NVR and BI. You seem to have a newer NVR so it might have a gigibit port and might not run into the framerate issues I'm having. I can post my settings if you need help connecting to your Q-See NVR from BI.
Thanks for the input, I do have a gigabit port on the NVR. If your settings are different then what was mentioned in the link by fendermen I would most definitely like to have them. Thanks again.

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I do have a gigabit port on the NVR. If your settings are different then what was mentioned in the link by fendermen I would most definitely like to have them. Thanks again.
untitled.png

Inside Params, if you want the Main stream, use subtype=0. if you want the Sub stream, use subtype=1.