NVR vs Blue Iris

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the computer comes with a disc drive, remove it and place in another drive - that is what I did.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
16gb is plenty, but more info here: Multi-Channel Memory Guide
I figgered If a guy can install 4 matching modules in a 4 module board or 2 matching modules in a 2 module board, your system will be optimized into whatever “dual or quad-channel “ the board supports. Crucial.com has an index of max memory supported for most HP Dell Lenovo Sony Compaq etc..type pc’s.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't see any point in buying fast gaming memory. Crucial max is expensive and unless you're overclocking, probably not a good idea on a pc running 24/7 or an office pc designed with probably a marginal PSU, MB power stage and cooling, then why waste all that money? Standard memory will be fine. Faster timings or faster speeds are unlikely to yield any better results on something as low intensity as cctv. All you're doing is throwing money away unecessarily. XMP can be a good idea but XMP is unlikely to be supported on an office designed Motherboard. In any case, the speed increase is slight if noticeable. Again on something like BI, I doubt you'd notice it. It certainly isn't worth the extra expense of a gaming pc.

Just looking at the Crucial memory selector site, you can buy a kit for the HP G5 400 consisting of 16gb of dual channel memory (2x8gb) 2666mhz for £56. That's about 1/4 the cost of Crucial Max ddr4000 which is only going to run at the standard pc speed anyway, of 2666 unless the system is overclocked, which isn't advisable for the reasons given before. My advice would be save your money. If the pc comes with 16gb, then leave it. If it doesn't and you want 16gb, get the cheap Crucial kit or similr. Don't waste your money buying Ferrari memory for a Jalopy. Putting a Ferrari steering wheel in a jalopy motor doesn't make it go any faster!

Last edited:
Reaction score
It comes down to configuration. I use a Dell (micro) with an i5 processor and integrated video to run 25 IP cameras (2 homes) and have no issue running BI and Home Assistant on a virtual client. You just have to tweak the cameras and system to make it work for you. Although there are many solutions, there exponentially many more failures.

Reaction score
Hi,
Could someone please confirm if this PC still is good for BI?, it is for sale for $150 at ebay.
Thank you.

For sale is a HP EliteDesk 800 G4 which is very clean internal and externally!

Comes with freshly installed windows 10 Pro on a brand new SSD NVMe; it is lighting fast!!

There is a scuff on one side of the PC. Username password are: admin / admin which can change upon logging in.

What you see in the pictures is what you'll get!

The specs are:
  • Intel Core i5 8500
  • Windows 10
  • Inland Prime 250GB SSD NVMe
  • 8 GB DDR4 RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics 630
  • 1 USB-C port
  • 6 USB 3.0 ports
  • 4 USB 2.0 ports
  • Comes with a power cable
This does NOT INCLUDE the following:
  • Caddy for drives

Reaction score
Yes, still plenty good. Assuming that you're not trying to do something extraordinary at least.
Thank you Mike,
Planning to use BI for 8 Dahua (Andy) cameras, For what I have learned today BI is better than a NVR. Would you get something better (newer)?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Should be good for that. Better server than what I and a lot of others run well with more cams. Set up substreams and follow the other standard optimizations and you'll be OK.

Better/newer's always good. If you find a deal on something better, no reason not to get it (other than cost).

Reaction score
Hi,
Could someone please confirm if this PC still is good for BI?, it is for sale for $150 at ebay.
Thank you.

For sale is a HP EliteDesk 800 G4 which is very clean internal and externally!

Comes with freshly installed windows 10 Pro on a brand new SSD NVMe; it is lighting fast!!

There is a scuff on one side of the PC. Username password are: admin / admin which can change upon logging in.

What you see in the pictures is what you'll get!

The specs are:
  • Intel Core i5 8500
  • Windows 10
  • Inland Prime 250GB SSD NVMe
  • 8 GB DDR4 RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics 630
  • 1 USB-C port
  • 6 USB 3.0 ports
  • 4 USB 2.0 ports
  • Comes with a power cable
This does NOT INCLUDE the following:
  • Caddy for drives
Make sure you understand how many HDDs can be installed, if any. It states the caddy for drives is NOT included.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you can get that for $150 then I’d say that was a very good deal and the CPU is more than capable.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
On the Elite desk I have, the drive bays dont use Caddy's. they use the screws with the blue or black rubber anti vibration washers. ( i've been wrong before alledgedly)

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
If you can get that for $150 then I’d say that was a very good deal and the CPU is more than capable.
It got sold by $129.00 at eBay, unfortunately I could not bid because I was working. Dell has the OptiPlex 7060 refurbished for $245. I'm considering to buy it with the 256 GB SSD but when I added to the cart it shows 256 HDD instead of SSD, I will have contact Dell

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It got sold by $129.00 at eBay, unfortunately I could not bid because I was working. Dell has the OptiPlex 7060 refurbished for $245. I'm considering to buy it with the 256 GB SSD but when I added to the cart it shows 256 HDD instead of SSD, I will have contact Dell
It will be the SSD, there are no such things as 256gb hard drives.

Reaction score
Got this one from DELL for $214, thank you guys.
  • Dell OptiPlex 7060 Small Form Factor, 1x Intel Core i5 6 Core (i5-8500) 3.00 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, DVD-RW, Intel Integrated Graphics, Windows 10 Professional

Any advice on a decent POE switch?

Thank you.

Daniel15

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any advice on a decent POE switch?
TP-Link TL-SG1218MPE is pretty good. Has a very good PoE budget (192W in total, up to 30W per port). It works fine standalone, but it's quite wide as it's designed to be rack mounted.

Even though it's fine for cameras, I wouldn't get a 100Mbps (or "10/100") switch. Get at least Gigabit as it's more future-proof and there's barely a difference in price these days.