NVR vs. PC: Before I return the Dell Optiplex 9020...

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Per Fenderman's recommendation on PCs, I picked up a Dell Optiplex 9020 with i7 Haswell. It's been sitting on the floor unopened. I'm at the end of the return window and called Dell to get RMA and label. They were very nice about it, almost made me feel bad to return it.

I'm sure there are other NVR vs PC threads. I've read about more flexibility with Blue Iris. The NVR works just fine for what I need, but maybe I don't know what I'm missing. Kind of like in the early days of a DVR, didn't quite expect the impact of that device. I dpn't do notifications and not sure I would even with blue iris.

2nd monitor:
Primarily, what I would like to do is display the cameras across multiple monitors, in other words one monitor shows 4 cameras and another monitor shows additional cameras, say cameras 5-8. The NVR offers 1, 4, 6, 8 and 9 images per monitor but I like the quad view due to the size of the images. Any more than 4 images and they start getting too small and/or different sizes.
  • Maybe a bigger monitor is the way to go? I currently use a 24" monitor fed directly from the NVR.
  • Or add another NVR for the other 4 cameras? (more watts, :()
  • Does the PC with BI have an advantage over an NVR (Hikvision 7608 with 8-channels of POE) in this regard? My understanding is you want to use the on-board graphics, so 2 or more monitors is out.

Security:
  • Being as I can't "see" the cameras behind the NVR, does that make the cameras secure?
  • If I use a PC, are the cameras secure like on the NVR if I home-run them to the PC?
  • If i put them on my LAN using local POE or power supplies for each camera, am I at risk of hacking?
  • Under which scenarios do I need to keep camera firmware up to date?

What else am I missing?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@nowandthen The onboard graphics on the dell 9020 can support dual monitors. It has dual DP out and one vga.
I do not believe the standard hikvision NVR's can display distinct cams per screen. Blue iris does not fully support this but the same result can be achieved by placing some cameras on the desktop of the second monitor.
The cameras are no more secure behind the NVR than they would be using blue iris. If you port forward the NVR instead of using a VPN then you should make sure the NVR has the latest security updates, though hikvision and others are always months behind.
If you simply want basic recording then an NVR is fine. If you want specific scheduling, alerts, being able to use almost ANY camera on the market, a much better mobile app, being able to set distinct motion detection for alerts vs recording, etc, then blue iris is the way to go. Even something as simple as disabling interior cameras while you are home is not possible (without a custom script) on an nvr..its not even close...blue iris is like an super NVR that can do almost anything..

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. I Didn't konw the 9020 had dual monitors. I may keep it, what the heck!

DaveZ

n3wb
Reaction score
2nd monitor:
Primarily, what I would like to do is display the cameras across multiple monitors, in other words one monitor shows 4 cameras and another monitor shows additional cameras, say cameras 5-8. The NVR offers 1, 4, 6, 8 and 9 images per monitor but I like the quad view due to the size of the images. Any more than 4 images and they start getting too small and/or different sizes.
  • Maybe a bigger monitor is the way to go? I currently use a 24" monitor fed directly from the NVR.
  • Or add another NVR for the other 4 cameras? (more watts, :()
  • Does the PC with BI have an advantage over an NVR (Hikvision 7608 with 8-channels of POE) in this regard? My understanding is you want to use the on-board graphics, so 2 or more monitors is out.

This may or may not help.
I run Blue Iris on a PC with 2 outputs (on board video out and an add on card). I have both VGA outputs running to 40" TV's.
I have over 20 cameras set up in different groups.
I minimize BI and open 2 browser windows and put 1 on each of the TV's and select the group I wish to view on each of the TV's
I have a few other users who remotely view the feeds via their browser and this solution allows everybody to see what they want to see.
I am using the web pages from here: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/93-I-made-a-better-remote-live-view-page

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes that is helpful knowing I can connect multiple monitors and if necessary add an additional card. But now that I know the on board video has dual out, that may suffice. I have been following the thread you linked. Thank you.