NVR w/ POE Switch Installation

TexAgCam

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision DS-7608NI-Q2/8P NVR that I want to install my POE ip cams to through a POE switch (currently using a trendnet TPE-S50). The NVR is connected to my TV via HDMI and I do not want to run up to 8 cat5 wires to the NVR but instead rather connect the ip cams to the NVR through the POE switch in the attic.

I prefer using the Hikvision plug-and-play feature vs the manual entry of the cameras on the network, which this only seems to work by connecting the NVR to the POE Switch. Test camera I am using is a DS-2CD2142FWD-I 4MP.

Question is: to connect the NVR to the network can I additionally connect the NVR LAN to one of the POE switch ports?

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it would be more like this...
Best not run the NVR <--> cameras traffic through the switch ports on the router.
Not all routers handle this well - it could adversely affect the router task and your broadband performance.
The best place to wire the NVR LAN port to is a port on the switch that's servicing the cameras.

By the way -
You've probably noticed already that if you want to connect LAN-based (as opposed to NVR-PoE-port-based) cameras to an NVR with PoE ports, you have to de-assign the PoE channels from their PoE ports by putting the channel in Manual mode and setting the IP address to match that of the LAN IP address of the camera.